Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a '97 OBW with 100,xxx miles.

In town only, I'm only getting 19-20 mpg... but it hasn't been above 30F here for weeks. In the summer I get more like 23 in town... it's the cold weather, and maybe the winter fuel as well. Hwy mileage is upper 20's.

Are you going by the gas gauge, or how much fuel is actually used? The gas gauges on these cars are notorious for being pessimistic and telling you that they're empty before they are... mine says it's almost empty after 200 miles, but there's still several gallons left.

Steve

You really can't measure mileage by the tank. Use the odometer instead. IIRC when our car was new nearly empty would take about 13 gallons to fill, now it takes about 9-10. The sending unit seems to be getting tired.

We are currently getting about 23.5-24 MPG with about 10 minutes of morning idling and mixed driving.

Has it been tuned up recently? Fresh sparks? New fuel filter? New air filter? PCV? Knock and O2 sensors happy? Tried any fuel system cleaners like Techron? Tire pressure to spec?

I got 18/19mpg before any of those things were done to my 96 OBW. Now I get 21/28.

Just another data point, since I was about to post basically the same question:

My new-to-me '99 outback with 40K and automatic transmission will get only 17mpg around town and 21mpg on the highway. I was expecting better. I haven't tried any of the tune up stuff listed in this thread, yet.

What is a knock sensor?

I've checked a couple of times Montreal to Ottawa @ 125 kph.. filling up before I leave and filling up again when I get there...26.5mpg one way and 28 mpg the other....Cdn gallons,(I believe they're 15% bigger than u.s. gallons ?).

I've got 190,000kms on my 98O/B wagon...(Automatic)

Sir, we had two '97's and one always got 1mpg more than the other.....

We've seen tanks from 20 mpg for all city to 28.1 for all moderate highay driving.

I drive nearly 50 miles one way several days a week and have noticed a significant drop in mpg since Fall. I attribute this to a different fuel mixture for the cold weather, more idling time and more fuel consumed during warmup, and the consequence of pushing denser air out of the way at 70-80 mph. I was average over 25 mpg per tank, now it's a little under or a little over 24.

I'm replacing the air filter next week and checking tire inflation pressure (it's been -10 to 31 degrees for the last week) just in case they are out of line.

The New York Times published an article entitled “To Avoid Fuel Limits, Subaru Is Turning a Sedan Into a Truck" 1/13/04

Here is the letter from SOA (Subaru of America)Chairman, President & CEO T.K. Saito 1/13/2004 in response

Mr. Saito writes:

”We strongly believe this article was written to capitalize on the controversies surrounding pending NHTSA policy changes with respect to vehicle classifications.

The article does not represent the company’s position regarding fuel economy and emissions standards. Subaru has always made fuel economy a top priority in its product development process.

Given our experience in developing cross-over vehicles, our market research indicated that our customers and potential customers wanted Subaru to enhance the Outback product to include even stronger SUV-like features such as higher ground clearance, dark-tinted side rear windows, greater axle clearance, and greater approach and departure angles suitable for off-road driving. With this research in mind, the new 05 MY Outback was redesigned to be a light duty truck and will debut next month at the Chicago Auto Show.

We are confident that the new Outback will continue to deliver the best of both worlds to the popular cross-over segment and remain a strong alternative to SUVs. Subaru has a track record of producing superior crossover vehicles that meet stringent federal safety and emissions standards.

The new Outback is no exception. The base model Outback is expected to have improved gas mileage for model year 2005, while we will also offer a model with enhanced performance characteristics for those customers that have expressed that desire.

Both the new Outback Wagon and Sedan will exceed the standards for a light duty truck on 4 of 5 requirements including break over angle, departure angle, running clearance, and axle clearance. We're giving customers what they desire, while at the same time complying with federal emissions standards.

The new Outback Sedan and Wagon is expected to meet federal emissions standards for light duty truck – which is as stringent as emission standards for light duty vehicles as defined by the EPA and ARB. However, final testing by the EPA for emissions compliance and fuel economy label calculations for model year 2005 Outback has not yet been completed and therefore is not available.

Subaru is committed to developing advanced technologies that improve fuel economy and emissions as evidenced by the new Sequential Series Hybrid Electric (SSHEV) propulsion system in the B9SC and the urban commuter electric vehicle R1e concept cars featured at this year’s Detroit Auto Show.

In addition, the new Outback released later this year will feature advanced engine technologies such as Active Valve Control System (AVCS) that improves overall engine efficiency. Further, the newly designed Outback body structure reduces overall vehicle weight by as much as 180 pounds.

Subaru always has been and will continue to be committed to safeguarding the natural environment that so many of our customers avidly enjoy."

• 2 weeks later...

I have only been getting 20-22 mpg on my 98 OBW. I am not happy, but considering the cold & all the other stuff people have mentioned here, I also swapped my bike rack for a ski rack...less aerodynamic. Could be another culprit. In the summer I was getting 24-27 mpg. depending on driving habits.