Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Back flush a fuel filter?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ericem

ericem

First Gen Legacy Master

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • CANADA Maple,ON

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:53 PM

Hey, I am going to swap my fuel filter from my 93 legacy to my 94 legacy turbo (the one on my 93 was replaced not a few months ago) and I figure I should maybe backflush the filter with compressed air, good idea? Or just push out the excess gas in there with compressed air out the same direction it flows?

#2 tcspeer

tcspeer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • Walnut Springs

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:36 PM

Why not just buy a new one, or put that one on without using compressed air on it? I would be afraid the compressed air might damaged the wet filter.

#3 shortskoolbus

shortskoolbus

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Irvine

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:33 PM

its just a few bucks...

#4 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,745 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:59 AM

I don't think any back flushing, or air hose can clean out existing dirt in a fuel filter, as the filter media paper is trapping extremely small dirt particles. My advise, if you want to reuse the filter, is to simply "shake out" any existing gas in the filter, wipe off any dirt on the inlet and outlet hoses, then install.

#5 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

this is not standard protocol, unless you are stranded in the middle of a desert and the fiilter is clogged, would do this just to get you back on the road.

The filter is a paper type which absorbs all the particles, once trapped, there is no way to dislodge the sediment from the filament.

Do you reuse burned out light bulbs, NO. same on this, it is basically the most critical part of the car.

if the filter is newer, than just install it, do not blow air thru it. It will be fine as is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users