Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cone washer

search found

At this point you want to remove the castle nut, the spring washer, and the conical spacer. Make a note of which way the spring washer was originally oriented, GeneralDisorder writes that it should have a "slight bubble to it - like the surface of a lens. The bubble goes out towards the nut".

The conical spacer is the innermost ring with a small gap in it and it can be a pain to remove since it's often wedged in tightly between the hub and the axle. One way to get it started is to place the 3/16" punch up against one side of the small gap and tap hard. With any luck that will break it loose.

If the conical spacer came out, skip what I'm just about to say, you can now smack the CV axle out through the hub and steering knuckle with a hammer or push it through with a gear puller (since all the brake hardware is still solidly in place). GeneralDisorder writes that "Getting the hub off is easiest if you just smack the end of the axle with a copper or brass hammer..."

If the conical spacer didn't come out, you can try what I tried. Attach an 8" gear puller to the hub and crank it until the hub, rotor, and conical spacer pop off together, usually with a nice loud *BANG* to scare the bejeezus out of you (at least it did to me, just be prepared). You'll need to pull the brake calipers off and hang them aside / off the strut springs. You can tell in the photo below that my rotors are in pretty bad shape, and now is a great time to replace them (new ones ~$15/ea at NAPA).

The "cone washer" or "conical spacer" as it is refered to is actually a mecahnical lock, known as a "mechalock" or simply a taper-lock. As the nut is tightened, the cone shape of the hub forces the cone washer to close at it's split (notice the 1/16" gap in the cone washer?). As the washer closes it grabs the axle shaft and locks the hub to the shaft. If the cone washer or hub are damaged/grooved/etc this will not occur at the specified torque value and the axle nut will never stay tight. I have seen this on more than one occasion - eventually leading to the destruction of the splines in the hub. Generally it is only neccesary to replace the cone washer as it is softer than the hub. !No amount of filing/grinding/reworking/etc will fix a worn cone washer! Any reduction in the OD of the washer will result in insufficient clamping force on the axle shaft and loosening of the nut. Any questions?

GD

Just curious, can the nut loosen with a cotter pin in it?

Yes - the nut doesn't loosen by spinning on the threads, it loosens by the cone washer and hub mating surfaces wearing away beneath the nut - thus causing there to be an ever-diminishing "stack" behind the nut and causing the hub to be loose on the axle.

GD

• 3 years later...
Yes, if you put the spring washer on backwards, the nut will turn loose with enough force to shear the cotter pin. I've shamefully done it..

Josh

Before I knew that there was a way to install them backwards, I installed 3 of mine backwards... The day I read a post about there being a polarity to the washer I went out to my car, and to my horror, they'd been wrong for almost a year. And I didn't have the nut back off. LUCKY! It wasn't even loose...

And as far as I can find out, napa does NOT stock these, they're dealer only. Napa does have the cone washer for the Justy, though....

Funny this thread was just revived, as I'm probably in the same boat and have some or all of my damn washers on backwards, and my cone washers are probably worn out.

So the dealer is the only place that carries them? Don't suppose anyone has a part number for this?

How many do you want I will put them on Ebay. Otherwise just order from me if you wish.

The cone is 623024020 and the washer between it and the castle nut is 623204080. 623024020 is $8.16 and the other is $8.88. I can ship used ones that are good as well. $2/ea

• Like 1

I believe I revived this thread because I had a question, which may be too stupid to answer. But here goes again: Can anti-seize compound be used on the cone washer/axle assembly?

It's not that I'm worried about trouble getting the cone washer off. I just want to know if the integrity of the connection depends on metal to metal gripping or is it more the dynamic pressure from the compressed split cone? likewise the splines of the axle and how they engage those of the hub. Does that connection depend upon bare clean metal to metal contact? Or does it simply depend upon the axle being pulled through the hub and held in place.

But now I see my answer here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90166

Generally speaking, no lubricant is needed with mechanical shaft locking devices such as the subaru cone washer setup if all the components are clean and free of burrs and damage. Though a thin coat of anti-seize is not a bad idea to promote dissasembly in the future.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

How many do you want I will put them on Ebay. Otherwise just order from me if you wish.

The cone is 623024020 and the washer between it and the castle nut is 623204080. 623024020 is $8.16 and the other is $8.88. I can ship used ones that are good as well. $2/ea

Well, my crappy dealer would have to order them, and they're like $14 EACH. Can't believe they have ZERO on hand. This town is full of soobies. And the best part is that when I was checking mine just now, and was putting everything back on, I managed to strip the threads on the axle. Sooooo now I get to replace that, having already replaced it last year, lol.

Alright, I'll take a pair of the cone washers. I'm assuming you're saying that the dome washers don't come individually, that I'll need to get them with castle nuts, so I'll take a pair of those as well.

• 1 year later...

Looking for the cone washers.  Still have any used ones for sale?

• 8 months later...