Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi ,

This is my first post to this forum, I hope to be making more in the future.

I'm wondering where would be the best place to get Specs on the variations of the ej 220. I have a non turbo 16 valve dual inlet track version at the moment in my kit car, I love the engine, but it lacks the punch that the car could do with to match its looks.

I would love to power of a turbo ej 220 but the engine sound again would not match the look of the car and I like the exhaust as it is.

So my long term idea is to supercharge a Turbo ej220 as it should be ideal, being already set up to cope with high boost and so on.

To do this though i really need to get some detail on which engine would be the best option to import or source. Eg injector sises, Current boost preasures, bore stroke ,cam timing the lot.

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Bruno

post-2851-136027587967_thumb.jpg

Sorry Thats my Mistake. For some silly reason i recalled 220, What a screw up for my first post.

The engine thats currently in the car is an EJ20, 16 valve quad cam. Its an import motor that served its purpose really well, But like i mentioned, I could do with a whole lot more :)

I am hoping to replace it with a EJ20T, and replace the turbo with a supercharger.

I realise that a turbo EJ20 in stock form, is more than capable of providing the power i would like, But it wouldnt suit the car. It looks like a mid to late 60's Le man's car.

If anyone knows where i can get information on Ej20T's in factory specs, I'm open to any suggestions on which model engine would be recomended, as long as its an Ej20 because it would be an easy swap, as the current engine mounts and transaxle should fit.

in theory.......

Sorry about the error

Again any info would be great.

Bruno

OK couple of things..

Any EJ motor will fit physically...

If you go to a turbo motor, it will require the wiring harnes that goes with it..

If you deturbo it and S/C it, it will require an altogether different aftermarket fuel/spark managment setup..

As far as specs..depends on the year..USDM EJ20G is 227hp

Thanks for you reply calebz

The Motor thats currently fitted already has an after market Engine maningment system, Its an Old Haltech system (e6a), But Ive written some small programs that make it a little more user friendly( displaying and editing the data in 3d graphs ). It should run a SC engine just fine, But i'm sure a newer system would be better.

There are a fair few external parts a plan to use from the old engine , parts of the ignition system, oil cooler, exhaust. And will have to fabricate the inlet manifold.

I'm hoping theres a variant of the EJ20T that is capable of reliably producing 300 hp without having to change its internals,cam profiles or injectors. If this engine exists and it is compatable with a supercharger style of induction. ( I'm hoping that the cam profiles of a Ej20T will be Similar to what is needed for a SC).

So far its seems that i should have enough space to fit the intercoolor ( form the EJ20T) at the back of the car. It would be nice to have it front mounted but thats a lot of piping. I'm not sure what effect this would have on boot preasure's and throttle response but my guess is that it would not be desirable. ( engine is at the rear)

Once I narrow down to the appropriate 20T model ( suggestions welcomed) I'll need to get all the internal Specs to establish which Super charger to pick, I know its going to be a Screw type, and i'm fairly sure who ill purchase it through, but matching the sise and volumetric efficiency of the supercharger to the engine can be tricky.

Again any suggestions on where i can get the Specs on standard Ej20T models both power outputs and internals would be greatly appreciated. even reliability issues

Web sites, books, workshop manuals anything.

Cheers

Bruno

It's quite possible your project is so unique that there won't be a huge anount of direct information available, having said that I believe you would be well served to get the message out on as many forums as possible. The other message boards I'd suggest are, http://www.nasioc.com and http://www.i-club.com both of which have some 'conversion' type info (most helpful for you probably) as well as 'tuner' type enthusuaists.

good luck