Ultimate Subaru Message Board

impromtu offroad

Uberoo

A friend gave me a set of 235/75/15 tires.friday/early morning saterday was spent fitting the tires and drilling some rims.Once they were on my friend and I thought it would be great to go play abit.Why not, we were only like 7 miles from the area where we go offroading. So we went and gassed up. Him in his ranger with 36" bald superswampers and me with 3 mixed allterrains and one worn out mud tire.

So we drive to where we go mudding at and my friend tells me to lead because its easy to pull the roo out but not his ranger. Ok, right off the bat I drive into a big mud hole/puddle etc just a little to fast.The subaru stalled and water/mud starting pouring in.The water level was about 2" up the back of my chair. so we go and pull the subaru out. We let it drain all of the water out of the interior and fire it up. Before we left to go play I probally should have wired the radiator fan to a switch instead of straight to the battery,oh well, I have a couple parts cars.The fan was toasted.Amazingly the car didnt overheat or get much warmer than what it normally runs at,even without a fan at those slow speeds. I am not sure why the car stalled in that first mud hole because it fired right up after the interior drained(all of the body drain holes where allready unplugged except the drivers and passenger side front footwells,oops).

So then we drove through a few misc mudholes that arnt worthy of mention.Evetually we find ourselves in a nice meadow with some pretty well established mud holes.I set out hammering my rear fenders because they were rubbing a bit.My friend decides to go and play in one of the mud holes. he gets stuck when his front diff started plowing dirt.After I got finished fender clearancing (thank god I had my 10 lb hammer :) ) I tried to help him get unstuck. Try as I might I just couldnt budge the stupid thing.One jerk ripped one of my rear tow hooks/loops off. After that I decided that I was gonna just go and get one of our friends to help pull it out. I left them a small shovel and made my way back the way we came,avoiding the deep spots of various mud holes and moving at a pretty fast clip. I got out to the main road and started driving towards my friends house. I got maybe a block when I saw a superduty with argressive tires hauling firewood. I stop and flag him down. Then I told him the story then eventually I guided him to my friend. in my haste the coolant disappeared somehow or an air pocket formed. So my car started to run a bit rough. I shut her down worried that I toasted the motor.We let it cool down and put some water in the thing. she seemed to run fine so we went and played some more after my friend got unstuck.She ran fine the entire day and didnt loose any coolant so not sure what happened other than my old radiator falling out of its mounts. I used a rachet strap and a bungie cord to hold my radiator in for the rest of the day.

It seems that some of the holes were just a little bit rough. I managed to brake one of my cheapo walmart lights from the abuse, even though it never got directly hit.My driver side mirror also fell off.As did my muffler.I think I will replace it with a glasspack... I need better tires ASAP because full throttle in the mud holes seems to break alot of stuff.Towards the end of the day the driver side front CV let go.Thankfully it stayed in the cup allowing me to get home.

It seems I might need to do some things before I head out again:

Finish removing ALL of the carpet out of the car so that way it can drain

Find new radiator fan,wire it to SWITCH!!

Securely mount radiator, 25 year old soldering does not hold the radiator.

Need to weld up the rear diff.

Waterproof the engine and electronics, so it wont stall out as soon.

Replace left front CV

Find some 235 mud tires.

Bring towels in waterproof baggies to put over the seat so its not so wet.Maybe wrap seat in plastic?

Things that might be nice to add:

muffler

garden edgeing fender flares

put right front fender back on( I took it off because It was smashed, I have a parts car with a straightish fender just couldnt get to it because its on a friends property but he wasnt there...

Stronger more durable lights(metal)

CB radio-maybe some sort of radio would be nice.Might see if I can find a waterproof portable sterio and wire it to the car...maybe...

MORE POWER!!!! with the 235's it is very gutless..

DAMAGE REPORT:

Left front CV

One rear tow hook

set of cheapo offroad lights

my mirror

muffler smashed off

radiator fan

sorry about the book. Pics will be along soon.Just have to recharge my camera's battery.

Edited by Uberoo

some pics of my car.

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/Uberoo/Subaru%20stuff/?action=view&current=DSCF0023.jpg

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/Uberoo/Subaru%20stuff/?action=view&current=DSCF0024.jpg

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/Uberoo/Subaru%20stuff/?action=view&current=DSCF0025.jpg

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/Uberoo/Subaru%20stuff/?action=view&current=DSCF0027.jpg

EDIT: we had some vandalizing in the neighborhood last night, spray paint on cars etc, it seems one of them pulled the valve stem from my front tire..

with the new tires its BIG!!!Easily the biggest subaru in lewiston!