Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 brat tranny ??

I have owned 3 subaru's, but have never had to work on one so i hope these ??s don't seem dumb. Will a 5spd 2wheel drive tranny out of an 84GL car work in a 4x4 85 brat??? Also i have just installed a new fuel pump on the brat and have been driving it everyday, but now it seems the choke is not working and it will not start on these cold mornings. Any suggestions will definitly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

As for the choke problem. With the engine cold, take the air cleaner top off. Look down into the carb throat, it should be an open cavity.

Now, Step on the gas pedal once and look down.

The choke (a flate plate in the upper section of the carb throat) should be closed and almost seal the top of the carb opening.

If it is not, spraying some quality lubricant (read NOT WD40) like Triflow or LPS on the linkage under the aircleaner housing, that may free it up so that it does close.

IF that doesn't help - post back and we will try and give you more advice.

Hope this helps.

I will not do the 5spd tranny swap with the 2wd. Will maybe do 5 spd 4x4 swap some day when i need to. As far as the carb goes the choke flap would not close all the way. Took spring cover off and it looks as if the spring is broken. It should have a hook on the end of it right???? It is straight. Need one if this is true. The manual did not even show a spring. Does anyone have this whole thing or can i purchase one??? Thanks for all the help. Note: I do have an 84 GL car 2wd that has a carter/weber carb on it. Brat looks like it has a hitachi??. Car is just a donor for parts. Has blown head gasket. Would i be better off swapping carbs or just repairing the hitachi??

Well - glad to hear your not gonna make it 2WD!

The Hitachi is the better of the two carbs, and you also would have to swap the manifold.... and the carter weber is potentially computer controlled, so you might have to swap that too. The carter webers are more difficult to get parts for, and being a single barrel, they aren't a very good choice.

You can get a rebuild kit for the Hitachi at Napa for around $35 - if your adventurous you might fo that route.

The best thing to do with the hitachi, is send it to the scap heap, and get a Weber 32/36 DGEV carb. If you don't have to pass an under hood inspection, this is really the way to go. A brand new Weber 32/36 goes for about $325 for the complete kit, but if your mechnically minded, you can save two third of this by getting a used or rebuilt carb, and buying the adaptor and air filter seperate. This conversion has been covered many times - do a search on Weber DGEV, or 32/36 I'm sure you will come back with a number of good resources.

GD

for the most economical approach, i would swap on the carter/weber and its intake as a unit. only 2 gaskets and 6 bolts to do so

the 2wd tranny will fit witn no mods. just take out the driveshaft.

you can leave in the rear diff and axles, but you can take them out just the same.

as far as the 2wd tranny, just swap over the clutch disc and pressure plate. use the existing flywheel

the throuwout bearing may be different, you should be able to use the 4wd pressure plate with the 2wd clutch disc(the 4wd and 2wd clutch has a different spline for the tranny shaft)

all of the tranny mounts and clutch cable will fit the same.

the trans tunnel in the brat will be larger than the one on the 2wd wagon, but there should be no issues there. you might have to take out the 4wd lever , but you should be able to just leave it there.

hope this helps, since that is what you wanted to do to begin with.....

There is no need to swap the clutch at all - the 4WD clutch will work fine with the 2WD tranny.

As I said before - no mods are required AT ALL - no clutch changes - no cable differences. You will be running with the larger 4WD clutch, but that's just fine - better actually.

Also - if you were to swap the clutch, you would want to swap the flywheel with it - the 4WD and 2WD flywheel's have different mating surface sizes....

I have done this swap - 2WD into a 4WD..... it's still driving to this day.

But you have already said you weren't going to do this..... mute point I should think.

GD