Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone here have a MSD ignition system on a legacy?

I am thinking of running a little nitrous oxide on the subaru bug, but I don't want the engine to blow chunks. I know MSD has ignition retard controllers for such activities, but does anyone know if any of their base ignition systems will support the ignitor/coilpack deal that's going on stock?

You know, because of the way the coil is set up, 2 plugs firing at once? Or am I waaaaay off on that assumption?

Yes, I looked on your site. Do you know if a MSD 6A would work? I have one on my Jaguar. I like it, but the three-inch sparks flying out of it when i pull a plug wire scare the s--- out of me.

I'd be more comfortable paying $150 for a 6A than $300 for a DIS-2. But if that's what I need, then I'll get it.

For anyone who is interested, i actually called MSD and the guy on the tech line recommended the new DIS-2 digital ignition system p/n 62112, and the required tach/fuel injection adapter p/n 8912. Works on any car with DIS and two coils, has new-style potentiometers on the back to set the rev-control and timing retard (nitrous oxide, baby!). I'm getting that power-to weight ratio better all the time.

Yes you must use a DIS ignition one....

I think you meant to say the programable DIS ignition, pn. 6212

It's a nice unit, however it is more expensive then the normal DIS 2 which you can get around 300 bucks. But with the programable one you do get to set boost/timing curves and other goodies.