Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru lift

arniejay

Depends on weather or not the GL is a 5 speed dual range tranny, if its an auto dont bother. 27-28 tires are a good size, any thing higher then that and you lose alot of power. the ea82 1.8 isnt known for power but its tough and gets the job done. ej22 swap in the future if your a good back yard mechanic.:grin:

Without a dual range gearbox I wouldn't go over 26" OD tire.

With dual range I wouldn't go over 28" tires.

I run 5sp D/R in my EA81 sedan with 27" kumho's and I get annoyed at the high gearing. But I'm sure 28's would work, they'd just be a problem even more then what I have at the moment is.

On road it should be ok with 27"s in high range.

Subaru's do great offroad. But lifting and fitting larger offroad tires doesn't acutally do much to their ability. Welded rear diff is amazing, will help a heap. You can work on the suspension, but really there isn't much more to be had there that will be obviously better offroad.

At least lifting and big tires makes the old Subaru's look good!

• 1 year later...

Without the dual range it will not be pleasant offroad, I started with a DL which had the same transmission that your Loyale has. once I swapped in a GL transmission, (quite easy) it did very well. If the car is in a good state of tune it will be fine, mountain passes not withstanding.

Without the dual range it will not be pleasant offroad, I started with a DL which had the same transmission that your Loyale has. once I swapped in a GL transmission, (quite easy) it did very well. If the car is in a good state of tune it will be fine, mountain passes not withstanding.

Not to mention, driving around downtown with 27's and a S/R is not fun, especially hills.

5 deep, 27 inch swampers trying to get up queen anne hill, yeah, that next week I swapped in a dual range.

That would be rough. I was stopped on a hill on Boren Ave (I think that's a big hill one) and had to burn the clutch at 3k just to not roll back. I bought my D/R after that.