Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trying to locate this relay. I am getting annoyed with stopping and getting out and hearing my fans running forever and ever and ever. Guage always sits just below the middle point and does not flucuate! Thermostat must be closed as the bottom hose gets cold. Car is a 94 Legacy Turbo. Thanks!

Not to sure if you have AC or not...im assuming you do...I Believe there are 3 fan relays in the fuse box under the hood (main fan relays #1 and 2 and Sub fan relay #1) and one up under the kick panel above the fuse box in the vehicle on the drivers side next to the FP relay and main relay (sub fan relay #2)...At least that is how they are arranged on my 96 Legacy.....There should be a fuse for the fans, no?

Hey well there is 4 relays under the hood in that fuse box. Located that another fan relay like you said near the kick panel. I pulled each one and when I pulled one it turns off the main fan and the sub fan still runs, under the hood the sub fan relay I pulled and it shuts off. Let it off for a long time and no overheating needle stayed exactly were it was for a good couple of minutes. I am very confused wtf is tripping the stupid fans to stay on all the time. Engine runs pretty good other then occasionally the idle going up to 900rpm's almost as if the car THINKS the AC is on. When I turn on the AC fans come on compressor come on. If I cycle it fans still seem to be running.

IDK but this problem REALLY pisses me off especially when I am in traffic, or when I get out for a moment and hear those fans running for no reason.

I am wondering if it is something turbo specific to allow the turbo to cool or something, I know there is definitely a huge amount of heat under the engine bay.

Also keep in mind I did replace my ECU temp sensor. Once with a non oem, then one from my 93 legacy which was replaced a few months back which was OEM. All the same symptoms!

SO....IF you start the car and let it get up to operating temperature (according to the gauge) and the fans come on...do they cycle off or no?..have you replaced the thermostat recently? If so did you use an OEM one? Have you done any other cooling system work besides the coolant temp sensor?...How new are the water pump and radiator? any coolant leaks?..Personally from the info youve given it kind of sounds like a stuck thermostat to me...I recently had a similar problem on my 96 Legacy with some aftermarket junk thermostat the previous owner installed and was stuck...The fans would cycle on just like normal and they wouldnt ever shut off....Is the CEL illuminated?

Yup all oem parts even tried a new rad.

I found a thread actually where a guy had similar issues and it turned out to be a defective OEM thermostat. I hope mine fixes itself I don't feel like draining the coolant for the 4th time. Hopefully it won't hurt anything anyway. As long as it is not overheating right?

Yeah I mean you can leave it I guess..but personally I couldnt stand it....lol...thats very odd though..you replaced the thermostat, CTS and radiator and it still does it....you know I would say its like a stuck relay except what are the chances all 4 fan realys would stick let alone at the same time...lol..Im sure you double checked this but all the air is out of the system right?

ya it seems to be however when ever i rev the motor when hot i can hear fluid circulating through the heater core as if there is air. I have a funny feeling there is still some coolant stop leak somewhere is the system from a while ago i flushed it as best i could as well as the heater lines. It does still drive me crazy but im not going to worry about it till the summer. By then ill remove the intake and crossover pipe and stuff and pop in a wrx turbo and intercooler.

• 5 months later...

I have been having trouble with my 92 legacy starting when cold. I noticed the fans start as soon as I turn on the ignition. I looked in the fuse, relay box under the hood, driver's side and found a fuse for sub fan that turned off one. Then I tried what looks like a jumper wire, I think it is a fusible link, anyway when I unplugged it both fans quit. Hope that helps. Now, can anyone trell me how to post a question? I'm new to this. My Subaru starts great if I plug in the block heater, if not it acts like it needs choked. It fires intermmitantly and after cranking will finally start running on its own roughly and soon runs normally. Any ideas?

Edited by tazmon

Ericem, I've mentioned it before on some of your other threads about this problem you are having... The transmission temp sensor can speed up the idle and turn on the fans if the transmission is getting too hot, Assuming it is an auto that is.

Is yours an auto?

Have you looked into that?

It could be that the transmission temperature sensor is defective.

I have been having trouble with my 92 legacy starting when cold. I noticed the fans start as soon as I turn on the ignition. I looked in the fuse, relay box under the hood, driver's side and found a fuse for sub fan that turned off one. Then I tried what looks like a jumper wire, I think it is a fusible link, anyway when I unplugged it both fans quit. Hope that helps. Now, can anyone trell me how to post a question? I'm new to this. My Subaru starts great if I plug in the block heater, if not it acts like it needs choked. It fires intermmitantly and after cranking will finally start running on its own roughly and soon runs normally. Any ideas?

Up at the top of the list of threads there is a "New Thread" button.

Ya but I am using my computer to read the temperature coming from the engine and I can see the temperature of the engine is not coming down sometimes. Sometimes fans come on and stay at 200F and wont drop to 190F like it should.

Unless that is how it tells the fans to run and it inputs the tranny and engine temp together?!

If it matters tranny is slipping noticeably in some gears on and off, no awd, and winning. Tranny will be changed ASAP though.