Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Factory-type Cruise Control Installation

I have a '98 Forester L, that I bought 2 months ago. It has AT and 163k on the clock. Being the L model, it was not well equipped. I've added power mirrors and I got a keyless entry fob from E-bay. I finally got it programmed properly a few hours ago.

Now, i want to add cruise control (cc), the factory type. Her's what I've added so far:

1. a cruise control switch for the instrument panel (from a 2001 Outback, H- 6)

2. a vacuum throttle control(mounts on the firewall directly in fron of the driver...has cable connection to the throttle body & a vacuum hose connection to the vacuum motor. This item came from a 97 Outback.

3. a vacuum motor that has a 4 prong plug(electrical) and a vac connection to number 2. (This came from a 96 Legacy)

4. a cruise control computer from a '97 outback

5. a steering wheel with the paddle cc control on it (not sure what year vehicle this came from, but it's exactly the same as oiginal wheel on the Forester).

I have connected all this stuff up to the proper plugs, but no matter what I do, I cannot get the cc to engage. What have I done wrong, or what mistake can anyone find?

I'll be out of town for the Memorial day weekend, & i'm looking forward to receiving advice & technical input. I've taken this vehicle on 1 long (5hr) trip.....and that was enough untill I get the cc working.

ScottG

Since Impreza/Forester cruise control used engine vacuum and not a vacuum pump, the pin-out of the Legacy control unit may not match

that of the harness plug.

Maybe you could still find a NOS factory add-on kit for your model.

Edited by avk

Brake, clutch switches. You are putting a Legacy unit into a Impreza/Forster. I believe the Impreza or Forster units are different. I know my 98 OBS mouts the Cruise unit on the passenger frame rail in the engine compartment.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I think the fact that some of the components came from different cars (and different year cars) is the source of the problem. The main problem, I think, is the vacuum pump, which should sit on the frame rail above the catalytic concerter in the Forester. I used one from a '97 Outback, which bolted behind the AC filter drier. I also modifed the original electrical plug for it from a flat 4 prong to a square four prong. Since I couldn't get it to work, I took that vac pump out & have modified the plug back to original.....now I need to find a vac pump that goes in the proper spot & has the proper electrical hookup.

The advice to get all the components from the same vehicle is the best advice yet. Anyone have a complete cruise control setup for a '98 or '99Forester or Outback they might want to sell???? PM me.

ScottG