Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PCV system questions

Im pretty sure that my PCV system is responsible for my blue smoke sometimes. I have a weber carb and therefore have my pcv set up like this; Both valve covers are connected by a hose. There is a t-fitting that goes down to the pcv. Off of that line there is another T-fitting that shoots up to the weber air cleaner. Would it do any harm and would it help if i just put mini breathers on both valve covers and left the PCV going straight up to the air cleaner?

It would do a lot of harm - but not much *more* harm than your current system which is not doing the job either.

The goal is to remove blow-by gasses from the crankcase - in the old days this was done with a road draft tube, but that became unacceptable with the environmental movement.

The PCV system needs a directional flow - in one head and out the other then to the PCV valve. But you need a smaller diameter hose between the second head and the PCV valve going back to the air filter in order to break the high vacuum and prevent oil being sucked into the manifold.

GD

Im pretty sure that my PCV system is responsible for my blue smoke sometimes ...

I Have some Pictures about that Setup and how I did Fix that, in my "Weber Swap" Writeup... if you want to see `em and How I Fixed that, Just Click on my Avatar and you`ll Reach a List of my Writeups.

Kind Regards.

I have the same setup as you and haven't had any blue smoke...

I took the 2 stock hoses that went to the subaru air filter and hooked them to the weber air filter... the driver's side already had the pcv line hooked into it... I simply made a T from pipe fittings at home depot and hooked them into the supplied weber air filter spot...

since this is the same setup as stock I don't understand how it could be wrong... the stock system had both valve cover hoses going to the air cleaner, one on each side...

maybe mine is ok because of the different diameter hoses... no idea...

since this is the same setup as stock I don't understand how it could be wrong... the stock system had both valve cover hoses going to the air cleaner, one on each side...

maybe mine is ok because of the different diameter hoses... no idea...

It is not the same as stock if you don't have the exact same diameter hoses as stock. When you are talking about flow rates and directions, hose diameter plays a huge role. Often in vacuum systems you have to carefully "tune" the system by use of very accurate "orifices" that are inserted to restrict flow rates at certain points. I have explained how the system works in other threads and it's tireing to do it over and over. Do a search for "PCV" and my user name and I'm sure you'll find it.

GD

It is not the same as stock if you don't have the exact same diameter hoses as stock. When you are talking about flow rates and directions, hose diameter plays a huge role.

that makes sense... and I did reduce the 5/8 and 5/16 hoses into a single 1/2 so that's got to be messing up the flow a bit... I guess the best thing to do would be to have 2 holes in the weber air filter the same size as the stock hoses and get rid of the reduction T...

time for another trip to home depot... hehe...

that makes sense... and I did reduce the 5/8 and 5/16 hoses into a single 1/2 so that's got to be messing up the flow a bit... I guess the best thing to do would be to have 2 holes in the weber air filter the same size as the stock hoses and get rid of the reduction T...

That is not the way the system works. You need ONE port on the filter. From there you T into two 5/8" hoses - one goes to the passenger side head. The other reduces to 1/4" ID then back to 5/8" and T's into the line from the drivers side head to the PCV valve. The key to making it work is the reduction to 1/4" ID to give an orificed vacuum break on the PCV line. Otherwise it will have too much suction and will pull oil out of the driver's side head.

GD

That is not the way the system works. You need ONE port on the filter. From there you T into two 5/8" hoses - one goes to the passenger side head. The other reduces to 1/4" ID then back to 5/8" and T's into the line from the drivers side head to the PCV valve. The key to making it work is the reduction to 1/4" ID to give an orificed vacuum break on the PCV line. Otherwise it will have too much suction and will pull oil out of the driver's side head.

GD

Im trying to picture that. Do you happen to have a picture of that setup?

Also to answer the other question im running a genuine subaru pcv valve.

Ok - I got you pictures - so all you people that are running your PCV wrong GO FIX IT! I'm tired of trying to explain it anyhow...

Overview of the system:

pcv1.jpg

This shows the "special" EA71 (gen 1, round air filter type) hose and special T fitting that makes this setup easy and clean - if you can find one. I suppose there are part numbers associated with them and you could order a set - I don't have any extra so don't ask! The blue T-fitting from the filter is from an EA82 SPFI. Hey look..... I guess I do recycle!

pcv2.jpg

And here's another angle:

pcv3.jpg

Re-read my last post and then look at these pictures. I'm sure it will make sense to you if you stare at it for a while.

Any questions?

GD

• 8 months later...

Im not sure but i usually get around it by searching for something else like

-hose routing

-vacuum

-weber breather

typing vacuum in got me this thread again. I kno there is probably a way around the search feature but i havent figure it out or if it was said i forgot.

The drawback is that you don't have a PCV valve in the manifold so any oil that gets sucked into the system ends up in the carb and air filter instead. Plus it's probably not as effective for removing crankcase gasses since the two pipes are fighting each other and trying to suck on both sides of the engine. With the PCV setup as talked about in this thread you have an IN and an OUT side of the engine creating a positive flow from one side to the other.

With the hose going into the soda can you have NO flow - so that's completely innefective. You might as well just leave the valve cover port open......

GD

With the hose going into the soda can you have NO flow - so that's completely innefective. You might as well just leave the valve cover port open......

GD

Aye, I know that. The cans are just catching the crap that comes out of the hoses.

The stock air filter box was always a bit gunky. Think I might salvage a PCV system from a wreck and bang in on.

Hey,

The search system won't let me search for PCV. How do I get around this?

The easiest way I found is using a '*' at the end of the word, so to search for 'PVC' you would search for 'PVC*' This has always worked for me! Just thought I would throw that tip in there...

Would it do any harm and would it help if i just put mini breathers on both valve covers and left the PCV going straight up to the air cleaner?

This is almost exactly what I did. I put two mini breathers on and got rid of the PCV all together.

It would do a lot of harm. GD

I do have an air cleaner base that I am currently not using for one of my carbs on my dual carb setup that has a line for a crank case breather. Do you think it work work well if I left a mini breather on one valve cover and ran a line from the other valve cover through an inline PCV and then into the air cleaner? Would that create the through cross flow that the engine needs to work properly?

Here is how it sits now.

IMG_3284.jpg

Do you think it work work well if I left a mini breather on one valve cover and ran a line from the other valve cover through an inline PCV and then into the air cleaner? Would that create the through cross flow that the engine needs to work properly?

ONe side "open" w/ breater.

Other side hooked into a PCV valve installed in Manifold, or "T''d into brake booster vac line.

Point being in the end.....the only reason the air filter box is part of the PCV....is to filter air before going into the one side breater.....if you have a seperate filter on there, then the other vavle cover port get's hooked straight to the valve. No further need to tie it into the air box.

ONe side "open" w/ breater.

Other side hooked into a PCV valve installed in Manifold, or "T''d into brake booster vac line.

Point being in the end.....the only reason the air filter box is part of the PCV....is to filter air before going into the one side breater.....if you have a seperate filter on there, then the other vavle cover port get's hooked straight to the valve. No further need to tie it into the air box.

Not completely true.

At wide throttle openings(low manifold vacuum,high blowby),PCV is unable to handle the flow and blowby gases are routed to the carb intake.