Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ej25 to ej22 swap question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 86subaru

86subaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,090 posts
  • ohio

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:08 AM

did the swap with help from miles fox, everything went well , now getting odd codes, like check serviceable records, tps, did not swap the ecm also used honda bond great stuff,

Edited by 86subaru, 26 May 2009 - 05:11 AM.

#2 msmithmmx

msmithmmx

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • West Grove, PA

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:33 AM

Reset the codes and see if anything comes back. You do not need to swap the ecu

#3 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:12 AM

Reset the codes and see if anything comes back. You do not need to swap the ecu

Infact you just added another variable to the mix.

#4 86subaru

86subaru

• Members
  • 3,090 posts
  • ohio

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

yes already cleared all codes, then i shut the car off , check engine light comes back on, this time barametic pressure code,

#5 86subaru

86subaru

• Members
  • 3,090 posts
  • ohio

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:02 AM

reaset codes, still check engine light on, car runs great , would old gas cause something weird,

#6 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:40 AM

did the swap with help from miles fox, everything went well , now getting odd codes, like check serviceable records, tps, did not swap the ecm also used honda bond great stuff,

Can you detail the swap a bit more? Which parts did you use?

BTW, the car senses the "Honda" bond and is now retaliating!

#7 86subaru

86subaru

• Members
  • 3,090 posts
  • ohio

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:27 PM

replaced 97 outback with a 2.2 motor , a/t to a/t , the 97 had the 2.5 motor, now getting code 1143 check service notebook,

#8 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,188 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:02 AM

this shows i different cause. maybe has to do with maf circuit??

http://www.troublecodes.net/Subaru/

Edited by johnceggleston, 29 May 2009 - 07:06 AM.

#9 OB99W

OB99W

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:18 AM

Based on the P1143 code, ''Pressure sensor circuit range/performance problem (low input)'', the problem might be related to the barometric pressure sensor or solenoid switching valve. If the codes were there with the 2.5, it could be that the baro sensor or solenoid valve is bad, etc. They're mounted on the right (passenger side) strut tower.

If the codes weren't occuring with the 2.5, I'd concentrate on related vacuum hose connections. Look at the emissions label pasted to the hood underside. Trace the vacuum hose back from the strut-mounted parts, through the filter (make sure it's not blocked), to what's engine-mounted, and make sure a hose isn't off or misconnected.

It might be easier to advise you if you would give all the Pxxxx codes (not the code definitions) that have come up.

#10 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,914 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:20 AM

Did the engine you swapped in's car have a charcoal canister under the hood or was it back on the right rear of the car like the outback?

I want to say a 97 has the rear canister if you used an intake off one with it in the back of the car you will have problems.

What I do when I do these swaps is gut the intake manifold except the fuel rails and then move the Throttle body, wiring harness, egr pieces and solenoids from the one intake to the other. You have to fool the car into thinking nothing changed. You should have all the pieces except the gaskets to do this as well. The fuel piping and vac pipes will all unbolt from the bottom of the intake and swap on. A couple bolt holes wont be used and the pipes might be loose in a spot or two but they will stay put and work fine. Take your time and move over carefully and it will work out. The EGR pipe will work on both engines.

#11 86subaru

86subaru

• Members
  • 3,090 posts
  • ohio

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:17 AM

ok, no canister on the 95 motor i put in it was missing, the 97 did, , checked the data stream it shows timing at 15 degree, but runs great smooth, the 2 codes shows barometic problem + 1143 code check sevvice notbook,

#12 OB99W

OB99W

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:21 AM

ok, no canister on the 95 motor i put in it was missing, the 97 did, , checked the data stream it shows timing at 15 degree, but runs great smooth, the 2 codes shows barometic problem + 1143 code check sevvice notbook,

Trouble codes of the form P1xxx are manufacturer-specific, which is why you're supposed to ''check service notebook'' (that is, look up the code definition for Subaru P1143). I already provided that definition, ''Pressure sensor circuit range/performance problem (low input)'' (which is a barometric problem), in post #9 of this thread. Since you said the other code you're getting is also baro-related, it would seem that's the area of the problem. The cure might be what Shawn suggested in post #10.

#13 86subaru

86subaru

• Members
  • 3,090 posts
  • ohio

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

fixed problem, took barometic pressure sensor, from car i took, motor from, they were slightly different from 95 to 97,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users