Ultimate Subaru Message Board

will a legacy gt 5 speed work in my 95 "L"

basically i have a chance to get a sideswiped GT for 300 bux with a (SHOCKING) Blown head gasket.

ill scrap the motor, but im wondering if the 5mt from that will bolt right in and work in my 2.2 sedan that has a bad main shaft bearing.

zzz

then i also get all the sweet gt body bits :) :) :banana:

basically i have a chance to get a sideswiped GT for 300 bux with a (SHOCKING) Blown head gasket.

ill scrap the motor, but im wondering if the 5mt from that will bolt right in and work in my 2.2 sedan that has a bad main shaft bearing.

zzz

then i also get all the sweet gt body bits :) :) :banana:

yes and no... what year is the gt?

if the gt is 96 - 98, the rear diff is different, swap it too and you are good to go.

oooooo gt wheels :slobber:

Edited by johnceggleston

the front calipers and rotors are different, larger on the GT, same as outback i think, you can swap them over as long as you swap the wheels. there's a recent thread on this, but you'll be fine if you don't swap them. rears are the same unless you have drums, which i doubt. i've had 95 + 96 legos, 97 gt and 97 outback and i've never seen drums.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99461

i would make the wheel decision based on tire life expectancy. no reason to discard good 14" tires for 16" wheels that need tires. you'll need tires eventually, you can trade wheels then. but if you need tires now or the gt wheels get your wife/girlfriend excited ...... oooooooooo gt wheels. :slobber:

Edited by johnceggleston

the 97 gt may be hydraulic instead of cable operated(can't find any definitive info on whether the 96-97 gt were cable operated and the 98-99 was when they switched to hydraulic. But have heard some say that, and others say all 2.5 legacy gt's with 5 speeds were hydraulic) and your 95 uses a clutch cable if its a 5 speed. So you might want to check on that

the only difference between the 95 L 5 speed and the 97 gt 5 speed is the differential final drive ratio, 3.9 vs. 4.11. the clutch should be the same.

97 GT is has a hydraulic clutch.

95 L has a cable clutch and hill holder.

The Hydraulic clutch parts swap over easy, but you may not be able to use the hill holder (although it seems possible)