Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Outback struts on Legacy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eppoh

eppoh

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • So central Texas

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:43 PM

My Legacy wagon does not have a lot of ground clearance and sits very low with anything in the back.

I read where Outback struts would bolt on with a little extra height and stiffer spring,

I might check the yards for a set, but wonder about what the different angle would do to the CV joints

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,896 posts
  • WV

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:48 PM

nothing, not enough to make a difference.

#3 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,950 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:48 AM

It would give you a little extra height. The cv's seem to be able to tolerate the bit of extra angle just fine. I mean the Outback's tolerate the angle though they do also have that body spacer.

What year legacy are you doing this on? Basically '96-'99 (mcpherson) should be compatible, and then '00 to maybe '04 (that is rear multilink).

#4 swi66

swi66

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Gasport NY

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:31 AM

My 98 Legacy Postal had been sitting low in the back for awhile, and my wife finally had a strut break. I went to NAPA and purchased 4 Outback struts of the same year for the car. I used the original springs for the struts. Measuring the struts against each other there is slightly more than an inch difference. Made all the difference in the world on the car! Rides nice, and a little extra height. And now with these struts in it, I could actually gain even more height by going to outback wheels with a larger tire.
I was quite happy with the upgrade and had no problems with angle.

#5 Bucky92

Bucky92

Drive Fast, Take Chances

• Members
  • 3,664 posts
  • New Milford

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:04 AM

I am running the Outback struts both front and rear on my 95 Lego...but we added the lift blocks from the outback in the rear to get rid of the rear dragging look. Leveled it out nicely actually.Took all of 10 minutes to pull them off of the rear subframe at the JY. And I recently had 500 lbs of mulch in the back without any problems

Posted Image

#6 outrage

outrage

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • se ohio

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:39 AM

I also have a 96 legacy wagon. I picked up some outback struts from the junk yard for a future install, but did not get any lift blocks. Are they necessary to level out the car? Where are the blocks located on the rear outbacks.

Thanks,

#7 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,896 posts
  • WV

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

lift blocks not necessary. a friend installed outback struts on his 97 legacy sedan and a bunch of folks have done the legacy wagons with fine (and level) results. :banana:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users