Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Legacy wagon does not have a lot of ground clearance and sits very low with anything in the back.

I read where Outback struts would bolt on with a little extra height and stiffer spring,

I might check the yards for a set, but wonder about what the different angle would do to the CV joints

It would give you a little extra height. The cv's seem to be able to tolerate the bit of extra angle just fine. I mean the Outback's tolerate the angle though they do also have that body spacer.

What year legacy are you doing this on? Basically '96-'99 (mcpherson) should be compatible, and then '00 to maybe '04 (that is rear multilink).

My 98 Legacy Postal had been sitting low in the back for awhile, and my wife finally had a strut break. I went to NAPA and purchased 4 Outback struts of the same year for the car. I used the original springs for the struts. Measuring the struts against each other there is slightly more than an inch difference. Made all the difference in the world on the car! Rides nice, and a little extra height. And now with these struts in it, I could actually gain even more height by going to outback wheels with a larger tire.

I was quite happy with the upgrade and had no problems with angle.

I am running the Outback struts both front and rear on my 95 Lego...but we added the lift blocks from the outback in the rear to get rid of the rear dragging look. Leveled it out nicely actually.Took all of 10 minutes to pull them off of the rear subframe at the JY. And I recently had 500 lbs of mulch in the back without any problems

dogsandlego004.jpg

I also have a 96 legacy wagon. I picked up some outback struts from the junk yard for a future install, but did not get any lift blocks. Are they necessary to level out the car? Where are the blocks located on the rear outbacks.

Thanks,