Ultimate Subaru Message Board

And the engine is a-coming out...um, again

well after 800 miles, shes about to quit already.

a friend donated what we thought was a decent block but we were unsure of milage...he found it here at work and it looked basically brand new. it was solid and in shape aside from a little bit of cylinder wall rust.

after the cylinders were honed and clean - the car went back together...for about 4 weeks.

a few days ago i heard what i thought was a typical ea82T lifter tap, as the days went on the noise got progressively louder and more metallic. today i was over at the shop during lunch checking things out and its definatley a noise inside of the block, not the head or cam case.

well at least now i can do the cams...

ugh, thank god for EJ22s.

hey dennis.. between Jules and I we have like 3 ea82T engines.. if you want a good shortblock i'm sure we can hook ya up..

i got the 290k wagon engine.. still runs good.. heads were keepin.. bottom end is perfectly sound..

we have the newly aquired RX engine.. turbo coolant line blew.. has gen1 heads.. were going to start it before we pull it to see whats up with it..

then theres the engine in my RX that will be coming out.. blown HG bottom end is fine.. i only drove it maybe a few thousand from the time i bought it from you..

between the 2 of mine you can take your pick.. if you want it ya gotta come get it.. but you can have 1.. i dunno what jules has in store for the newly aquired rx engine.. i don't think he wants it either.. but thats up to him really..

so this will be engine number 5? in the XT...a little history and some interesting facts:

1st - previous owner boosted to 17PSI with no IC, perhaps scoobie steve could share inside info about this one.

2nd - over heated, cause unknown (see also scoobie steve)

3rd - the bored block, was .050 over and had stripped threads. didnt like having heads bolted to it, nor did it like coolant of any kind.

4th - looking like a bad wrist pin in cylinder 4, sounding like world war 3.

in between 2 and 3, the car was sold for $50. an RX trans and rear diff was installed, the big engine was built, a VF11 added as well as an intercooler, custom made piping, BPV, boost controller and 5 lug swap.

never garaged, yet has no body rust. has mind of its own.

Wow...your motivated Dennis. I've been procrastinating about this Legacy job for 5 months. Too damn cold to do anything in the garage. Do you get employee discounts for parts? Are you talkin about racing BeneBob's svx, I just bought camcorder, so I'll be able to capture live footage this year.

Meeky, I don't remember an xt6 being there. Not many from usmb made it. (?)Brat - (dennisex24)xtturbo - (stupidru)ea81t - (gravelrx)rx - (hocrest)Legacy - (benebob)svx. At least 50 wrx's, several legacy's & impreza's(rs). I hope we'll see tforester's - tbaja's - newtlegacy's this year.

I think I remember him saying something about an xt6 he has been working on, maybe we'll see it this year. I know hocrest got an svx. I hope to be bringing a tlegacy this year, if not

I'll be in the 84 twagon again, you should have seen the wrx heads turn when we pulled-up in the vintage stuff. Are you going to make it this year?

it was his SVX...i have a pic of me walking him by about 2 car lengths off the line there. that was with the old bored over engine i had in there, man that was a fun day.

WJM, im going with a stock engine. nothing other than the cams will be aftermarket as far as internals are concerned.