Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

99 ej25 deer hit timing i think has jumped poll

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

apparently when the rebuilder car my brother has just acquired hit the deer, the idler pulley brakcet, and fan shrouds cause the T belt to jump. the T belt is not damaged, its intact. The covers were slightly cracked. engine is DOHC EJ25

How many here think that the valves will be bent on the side that looks out of alignment?

the timing will be reset to correct tonight, and then we will run a compression check, so I will know soon, but how many here think the valves are gonna be trashed on the side that is not lined up?

if the compression check shows okay, the plugs will go bac in and will try to run it.

the car had been run at the auction, I myself did not hear it, but belts were squeeling and rubbing, and i guess it had a miss.
car histrry is it has 28,000 miles on it so that means try and save it

bh

Edited by bheinen74, 29 May 2009 - 11:37 AM.

#2 ron917

ron917

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:55 AM

car histrry is it has 28,000 miles on it so that means try and save it

bh

Can that mileage be verified via CarFax or similar? The '99s have a history of bad speedometers, and they are often replaced.

#3 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

Can that mileage be verified via CarFax or similar? The '99s have a history of bad speedometers, and they are often replaced.

pretty sure its actual the car is real clean and even the sticker on the glovebox for airbag warning is still there. but yeah who knows.

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,637 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

Depends how far off the timing is. Odds are the valves are fine. The miss is a little bothersome, but then again that could just be the timing. If it is 2 misses thats timing, if it is one then a bent valve.

nipper

#5 ron917

ron917

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:44 PM

pretty sure its actual the car is real clean and even the sticker on the glovebox for airbag warning is still there. but yeah who knows.

Wow, good deal then. Those low mile cars are out there, but rare like hen's teeth. My Grandma (age 89) only puts 200 miles per month on her Buick.

#6 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,084 posts
  • WV

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:01 PM

bent valves is the most common symptom here, but everything else will be fine. you'll get new head gaskets out of the deal anyway, a big plus on the Phase I's.

#7 subaru360

subaru360

has no catchy title

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • Fleetwood, PA

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:12 PM

It's going to depend on how many teeth it jumped. If it was only a few it might be ok.

#8 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:19 PM

just got back from working on the bambi hit outback of my brothers

compression checked about 175 ish on all 4. looking good. I had to order in the new spark plugs today and they arrive in the morning, but according to the compression, should be fine. Starting off early Saturday, picking up the plugs and then off to check on a green fender, and the rest of the list. Pulled off the driver fender tonight, for practice if we find a good junkyarder. long parts list, but at least the engine should be good. yaya

Have parts to pull off my parts Brat too, and well, lots more to do.

#9 ron917

ron917

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:07 AM

That's good news!

Check the cam sprockets for cracks or damage. They are made of plastic and it doesn't take much to compromise them. You don't want to get it back together then have a sprocket come apart - bent valves are the likely outcome.

Edited by ron917, 30 May 2009 - 08:09 AM.

#10 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:31 PM

new plugs are installed, and it started right up, minus any radiator. Just orderd a radiatorbarn.com radiator

Junkyard search today for hood and fender and headlights turned up nothing. Went to 4 junkyards. I found yet another 5spd dual range tranny but did not take time to get it.
Just got done installed my center cyclops light on the Brat, wiring it tomorrow. bust weekend so far.

#11 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,979 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:46 PM

where did you fine the 5 speed dual range

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users