Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New BRAT seats... can you guess from what?

So in the pokings-around in the BRAT over the past couple days, I found that one of the driver's seat rails was fractured in half, and the passenger seat back was almost completely toast.

Hit the PaP today to look for replacement parts. Snagged a set of EA81 seat rails then help heading down the yard to see if there were any EA81 donor vehicles with good seat(s) I could snag.

Then I found these...

0531091708.jpg

0531091708a.jpg

They are almost a direct bolt-in replacement for the EA81 front seats. In fact, the driver's side seat rails DID bolt right onto these seats, and then bolted right back into the factory seat mount holes with no problem! And the passenger seat rails just needed to have the holes slotted slightly on the front holes to mount the rails to the seat.

Now... bonus points: Can anyone tell me what they are from?

They look a bit tall on the front edge but not bad. Do they give you any more headroom?

I know that Isuzu Impulse seats are nearly a direct fit, but the set I have don't look quite like that - perhaps from a newer one? I know there were several body styles of Impulses and it's likely they used similar seat mountings..... but that's just a WAG. :confused:

Do tell....

GD

Alright, since you asked nicely.. :grin:

They are from a '91 Mazda Protege.

There were plenty of Protege's in the PaP, this happened to be the first one I encountered that had good seats where the bolts weren't rusted to the floor. There was a sport trim model that had even cooler seats, but the bolts were thoroughly fused into the floor. :P

The driver's seat has a height adjustment for the lower cushion, so that may be why it looks like it's higher... it probably is at the moment. It's at a medium setting.

Because of the mechanism they use for that height adjustment, EA81 driver seat rails will bolt directly to the driver's seat with NO modification (just use the bolts that held in the Mazda's rails). This adjuster mechanism doesn't exist on the passenger seat so the rail holder doesn't have any adjustment to itself, so the forward seat bolts on the EA81 rails need to be elongated slightly away from the front of the rail. Like about 1/8" at most. I did it in about 5 or 10 minutes per rail with an 11/32" drill bit (probably really hard on the bit for lack of support, so a dremel would be better, but I don't have one).

But the WIDTH between the Mazda rail mounts and the EA81 rail mounts are EXACTLY the same, so no adapter plates were required. This was a super-easy conversion that is probably very plentiful in junkyards, given how many early 90's Proteges there are in JYs... not to mention that mid to late 90's Kia Sephias were basically rebadged Proteges and PROBABLY have the same mount spacing.

Edit: Oh yeah, about the headroom... I didn't have any headroom issues in the BRAT before, and haven't noticed any since I put them in either.. so not sure if that's an answer to your question or not.

Edited by Ever Victorious

Edit: Oh yeah, about the headroom... I didn't have any headroom issues in the BRAT before, and haven't noticed any since I put them in either.. so not sure if that's an answer to your question or not.

I'm 6' 2", and headroom is at a premium for me in the EA81's. If you could give me an idea if the headroom increased or decreased at the lowest setting of the height adjusters that would be super. There are a lot of us with this problem and it's always good to know what works and what doesn't. I snagged a set of the Isuzu Impulse seats years ago as they are super thin and yeild around 2" of extra headroom. It's quite noticeable.

GD

I'm 6'0", a little more leg than torso.

I can pretty much guarantee you I lost headroom from my old setup to my new, but part of that is because the old seat was broken and wouldn't sit anywhere close to upright, only reclined. Which is a position that drives me nuts.

I'll drive it around for a couple days in a comfortable position for me and give you my impressions of it.

It only took firing the BRAT up and putting it back in its parking spot to determine that the seats are WAAAAAY more comfortable than any EA81 seat I've ever sat it, no matter how good of condition it was in.

Well, just got an excuse to go out for a drive, and here's a bit more info.

With the seat "Adjustment" in the uppermost position and with the seat back almost completely vertical, I have a good 2.5 to 3 inches between my head and the bottom of the headliner (not the twin-halo, so this applies to ALL EA81's).

Also, what I thought was a height adjustment for the driver's seat appears to be more of something that just alternates the seat between pitched forward a little and a normal driving position. Like if one had clearance issues with the steering wheel when getting in/out.

Anyway... the seats are SOO much more comfortable than EA81's, and they also have a really good side bolster, more like an XT6 seat.

If you're under 6', there should be no headroom issues. If you're over 6', it depends on if you're torso or leg. I can't really answer that question for anyone else. Anyone else around my area who wants to check it out and make their own judgement is welcome to do so.

Ok, seeing how I was in a PAP today I took a look at some of the Mazda Protege's they had in the yard. They all looked ok, but I continued on.

In the last row of imports there was a Mazda MX3. The seats were in ok condition, dirty and the drivers bolster had a couple holes in it. But my RX seat is worse. So I grabbed them, got em both for $35.

Theres all kinds of adjustments for the drivers seat.

Seat height in the front.

Side bolsters move in and out.

Lower lumbar support.

And a lever on the side I have no clue what it does yet.

I'll get some nice seat covers for them after they are cleaned.

But I need to figure out how to get EA82 rails on them first.

MazdaSeats1.jpg

MazdaSeat2.jpg

i think the rattechety lever raises over all seat height and the rear lever may tilt the seat....mabe we shoulda checked em out before you pulled them ina blink of an eye

Lol :lol:

Yeah, I know the back lever is for the seat back tilt.

I looked underneath and all, moving the lever around.

Still couldnt figure it out, nothing was moving.

I'm in the process of cutting/drilling the rails off now, because they arent bolted to the seat frame. Stupid pop rivets and spot welds.

Its turning out to be quite a job :-\

And this is the just passenger seat :rolleyes:

Meh, not that big a deal.

Thats what power tools are for.

Sawsall, angle grinder, drill.

And yes.......I happen to have a fire extinguisher close by ;)

Caboob, I will have seats that will feel mucho better than STi seats :grin:

You know how it is with old guys and bad backs, you're half way there.

...I will have seats that will feel mucho better than STi seats ...

Ummm..., not all Proteges have comfy seats. Those look like the upscale versions that they use in the 626. My wife's 99 Protege has the most uncomfortable seats of any of our drivers. But then, everything feels bad compared to the SVX's seats! :headbang:

(mini hijack - We are looking for a passenger side mirror for the 99 Protege... did you guys see any 98-99s?)

Ummm..., not all Proteges have comfy seats. Those look like the upscale versions that they use in the 626. My wife's 99 Protege has the most uncomfortable seats of any of our drivers. But then, everything feels bad compared to the SVX's seats! :headbang:

(mini hijack - We are looking for a passenger side mirror for the 99 Protege... did you guys see any 98-99s?)

I didnt check the years, but there were a couple of them in the Arlington PAP.

No Proteges that new in the Lynnwood yard. Newist one was probably 94-ish.

The 91's seats are pretty darned comfy. No contest between them and the broken down BRAT seat. Closest Subaru seat that I've been in I could compare them to would be an XT6. Other than that, similar in feeling to my wife's '05 Tucson's seats, except with a better side bolster.