Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea63 and ea71,81 heads

tuoppi

hello,

I tried to find answer using search but didn't find it so here is my guesstion:

can ea63 heads be used in ea81? I have ea81, I live in Finland and here is some crazy laws and I'm trying to follow them.

I'm putting ea81 to my 1972 beetle but there is too much horsepower. I can put 60hp engine to beetle but ea81 have 73hp. Our law says that if I take ea63 heads and swap them to ea81 horsepower of the engine will be the same that is in ea63 58hp.

I hope it can be done but I doubt it.

Cincerely Tuomas

ok thank you for the information.

lawa says that I can't "antipower" the motor but if I add turbo to my ea81 it's not an factory motor anymore but if I do that how much it can take? this is because the lawa says that if I have DIY motor I have to proof the horsepowers so if I add turbo and measure only 60hp it's ok. this is the original plan before this ea63 heads stuff.

what is the differense between normal pistons and turbo pistons?

I hope someone can understand me:rolleyes:

-Tuomas-

ok thank you for the information.

lawa says that I can't "antipower" the motor but if I add turbo to my ea81 it's not an factory motor anymore but if I do that how much it can take? this is because the lawa says that if I have DIY motor I have to proof the horsepowers so if I add turbo and measure only 60hp it's ok. this is the original plan before this ea63 heads stuff.

-Tuomas-

He wasn't suggesting adding an actual Turbocharger. That would increase horsepower.

He was suggesting that you use a set of lower compression pistons, used in the turbo cars. Just add the pistons, not the turbo, got it?

That would lower compression, and horsepower. I am pretty sure below 60.

And then you could run really low octane fuel without risk of pinging.

The rings are different so you would need a new set of rings to go with them. Otherwise a simple hone job and a new set of rings would do it. I would likely do main and rod bearings as they are cheap and you are going into it anyway since you'll have to hone to get the new rings to seat.

The pistons will drop right on - their only difference is they are "dished" in the center like a bowl - this lowers the compression ratio.

And yes - it would allow you to run really crappy gas too. I'm not sure how much of a "bennefit" that is, but such is the way of low compression.

GD

Your law says that the engine's power output has to be tested, and that the measured power has to be the same as the original engine? If this is so, then would it be practical to just "detune" the engine? ("Detuning" methods might include reducing the ignition timing advance, intake restriction, exhaust restriction, and reducing the engine's maximum RPM.) It is a similar concept to using the more restrictive EA63 or EA71 heads.

ok some miss understandigs I try to explain more.

biggest beetle engine is 50hp I can put 20% more so it's 60hp that's the limit to the beetle engine. now when I put subaru engine to beetle there can not be more than 60hp. ea81 has 73hp but problem is that I can't decrease hp from original engine because of the law but if I make home made engine it is just 60 horsepower. one way to do home made engine is add turbo. so if I add turbo to ea81 and then measure it and proof that there is only 60hp I can put it to beetle. engine is home made when it is not original engine in any cars.

I hope this helps :)

I have modified ea81 quite lot. I use megasquirt to fuel and waste spark or edis-4. there is two injectors in intake manifold and "flap" from saab 9000. turbo will be kkk-03 (have to buy). motor has been running 144 000km. that is one reason why I don't like to open the motor downstairs. heads are opened and I clean the valves and plug the egr.

there is something from my project, maybe I add some pictures and change the topic name :)

-Tuomas-

one question came to my mind. what material is best for seals between motor body and heads when I'm adding turbo? pressure is between 0,5 and 1 bar. it is very hard to get parts to older subaru motor in Finland. so if there is a good webstore please tell me.

-Tuomas-

that's true Gloyale BUT when turbo is added motor is home made I can do what ever I need that there is no more than 60hp!! I mix up fuel, timing, pressures and so on. I just need an paper to proof that it is 60hp engine. and after that I adjust everything nicely and get maybe 140hp and 180Nm.

I know this is STUPID law but what can I do :rolleyes:

-Tuomas-

Intake is almost ready and some other part too so maybe I take some pictures so you can see what I*m doing.

so basically the engine going into the car, in a stock form can only be 60hp but bolt on mods are ok after you show that the engine only produces 60hp. What if you do internal mods to the pistons and rods after you show the engine going in is only 60hp?

Um depending on the 1400 engine it would produce alot more than 60?

My GSR supost to be in factory bhp is 90 something bhp.

and my DL 1400 engine produces about 80 something.

Read both of those in subaru Factory stats somewhere.

Couldnt you maybe grind ea81 of the engine and stamp ea71 or something of that nature on it lol?

is that 60bhp at the wheels or flywheel?

it's from wheels.

it doesn't matter what is bhp on engine the factory info is what inspectors are looking.

that ea81 stamp to ea63 stamp have been in my mind. only thing is if I do that I need picture from ea63 stamp and engine and engine number.