Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 2005 legacy wagon with 4 speed automatic transmission is due for an ATF change (60 K). I tried to order the recommended Idemitsu HP ATF from subaruparts.com but apparently they will no longer ship the transmission fluid. The stealer in Houston quotes $10+ a quart so that is getting up there. Does anyone know a reasonable priced source for this product that will ship it or should I switch to using the latest version of Dexatron ATF. Does anyone here have any experience doing this?

Regards

Al

Search for a thread started by me a year or so ago.

I ended up using Wolf's Head universal synthetic in the GF's car a 2006 Impreza. After much research, talking with their tech guy a few times, etc.

The fluid was way, way dirty. I drain and filled 4 times. I tried to post a pic (actually I think someone else posted it for me).

I still have the samples now in clear water bottles.

At the time it was almost 50 bucks a case. But that was about in the timeframe when all the oils, etc were skyrocketing. Took 14 qts for 4 drain/fills IIR.

Not an outright recommendation, just an experience and decision that I made with my sex life on the line(talk about pressure!).

Try this link:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86859&highlight=wolf%27s

Edited by davebugs

There's lots of discussion about the Subaru ATF-HP on the various forums.

for example:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1480425#Post1480425

At this point, I can't recommend anything except the genuine Subaru ATF-HP. Hopefully, the manufacturers that are rumored to meet the spec (Valvoline, Amsoil, Mobil 1, etc.) will soon clearly list it on thier product spec sheets - then we will have a choice.

vinder1, you should try other dealers. I paid $8.05 per quart, list price is $8.95.