Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New to forum: 90 Subaru hesitation/surging prob

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 d_sube90

d_sube90

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:00 PM

Hey sorry if this is a dupe post but I had a buddy point me here that's used this site and said I should post my problem. I have a gremlin under the hood and it's driving me into the poor house, it's a 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon w/125,XXX miles w/2.2L first let me explain what it's doing:

ONLY when it's wet out, if it's dry out it's just fine: it surges/hesitates, doesn't matter what speed, if in town, 50% of the time it'll die at stop lights, you can watch the tach surge (loss) anywhere up to 1100rpms, it'll spit and sputter then stop doing it and run fine for a minute then happen so the problem is very intermitten, sometimes violent enough to shake the front of the car when it starts doing it

What I've done so far:

timing belt was replaced when I bought it
replaced plugs/wires
air filter
O-ring in airbox (done by reputable shop)
replaced tranny computer (by shop)
checked injectors - all fine
ran 2 cans of seafoam, one through oil one through full tank of gas
checked all electrical connection points I can find + alternator(fine) + hoses are fine
took airbox off and cleaned with carb cleaner everywhere I could get a tooth brush

I've had it to the shop 5 times so far and they haven't been able to get it to do it let alone fix it completely and I'm at my wits end with this thing

Edited by d_sube90, 05 June 2009 - 07:03 PM.

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:24 PM

You may want to pull the driver's side fender and inspect the "snorkel" - the airbox pulls air from inside the fender. You may have some anomaly in that area.

Your problem is VERY unusual. It could easily be electrical as well.

BTW - your post belongs in the "newer generation" forum - Legacy's are new gen. This forum is for EA series.... which were still made till 94, but are really just 80's models that have been rebadged.

GD

#3 d_sube90

d_sube90

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:36 PM

You may want to pull the driver's side fender and inspect the "snorkel" - the airbox pulls air from inside the fender. You may have some anomaly in that area.

Your problem is VERY unusual. It could easily be electrical as well.

BTW - your post belongs in the "newer generation" forum - Legacy's are new gen. This forum is for EA series.... which were still made till 94, but are really just 80's models that have been rebadged.

GD

Oh shoot my bad, thank you much I'll see about moving this over there my apologies I'm a newb haha

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:55 PM

Oh shoot my bad, thank you much I'll see about moving this over there my apologies I'm a newb haha

It's no big deal - it happens all the time. A mod will notice and move it. I wouldn't worry yourself much about it.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users