Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to forum: 90 Subaru hesitation/surging prob

Hey sorry if this is a dupe post but I had a buddy point me here that's used this site and said I should post my problem. I have a gremlin under the hood and it's driving me into the poor house, it's a 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon w/125,XXX miles w/2.2L first let me explain what it's doing:

ONLY when it's wet out, if it's dry out it's just fine: it surges/hesitates, doesn't matter what speed, if in town, 50% of the time it'll die at stop lights, you can watch the tach surge (loss) anywhere up to 1100rpms, it'll spit and sputter then stop doing it and run fine for a minute then happen so the problem is very intermitten, sometimes violent enough to shake the front of the car when it starts doing it

What I've done so far:

timing belt was replaced when I bought it

replaced plugs/wires

air filter

O-ring in airbox (done by reputable shop)

replaced tranny computer (by shop)

checked injectors - all fine

ran 2 cans of seafoam, one through oil one through full tank of gas

checked all electrical connection points I can find + alternator(fine) + hoses are fine

took airbox off and cleaned with carb cleaner everywhere I could get a tooth brush

I've had it to the shop 5 times so far and they haven't been able to get it to do it let alone fix it completely and I'm at my wits end with this thing

Edited by d_sube90

You may want to pull the driver's side fender and inspect the "snorkel" - the airbox pulls air from inside the fender. You may have some anomaly in that area.

Your problem is VERY unusual. It could easily be electrical as well.

BTW - your post belongs in the "newer generation" forum - Legacy's are new gen. This forum is for EA series.... which were still made till 94, but are really just 80's models that have been rebadged.

GD

You may want to pull the driver's side fender and inspect the "snorkel" - the airbox pulls air from inside the fender. You may have some anomaly in that area.

Your problem is VERY unusual. It could easily be electrical as well.

BTW - your post belongs in the "newer generation" forum - Legacy's are new gen. This forum is for EA series.... which were still made till 94, but are really just 80's models that have been rebadged.

GD

Oh shoot my bad, thank you much I'll see about moving this over there my apologies I'm a newb haha