Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 GL Wont Start

The pump shouldn't be cycling like that. It should only do it once. It sounds like the test plugs are connected together under the dash. They should only be connected when doing some troubleshooting.

See if the car will start using some starter fluid. If that doesn't help check the ignition syystem out and make sure you have spark to the plugs.

Hello Guys..

First of all, I apologize that I did not go to the New Member section and post a hello> I apologize!!!!

This is the third subaru in the family so i have some experience with them. First GL sedan was great till my brother crashed it. We replaced it with an 88 4wd 5 speed wagon and he still drives that (it survived a crash as well)

The new symtoms are below!

:grin:

After finally using my brain and following my newly purchased manual and great help from MikeS

I have discovered that when i crank the engine with distributor cap off the shaft DOES NOT rotate.

Should be bad timing belt Right???

Good Morning Message Board

So i have finally replaced the timing belt.

I now have spark and i can smell the fuel. She still wont fire over. Wondering if its getting too much fuel..

Whats a DUH thing i could have not connected when i put it all together to prevent a start? I have spark out of plugs when cranking, can smell fuel and pump appears to be working,

Any thoughts?

email me please kmcarey2@comcast.net (goes to my blackberry)

THanks!:banana:

You got the cam timing wrong or you need to re-time the distributor.

Belts should be installed using the VALVE timing marks on the flywheel - you put the mark on the drivers side cam straight up, and the mark on the passenger side cam straight down. Install both belts.

Then you have to time the distributor. Rotote the engine so the #1 (passenger side closest to the radiator) piston is at TDC on the comp. stroke (you feel air pushing past the plug hole). Line up the INGNITION timing mark on the flywheel with 0. Install the distributor so the rotor is pointing to the plug tower you wish to be #1. Install the cap and install the wires counter-clockwise starting from the one you chose to be #1 in the order 1,3,2,4.

Gentleman.... start your engines.

GD

Good Morning Message Board

So i have finally replaced the timing belt.

I now have spark and i can smell the fuel. She still wont fire over. Wondering if its getting too much fuel..

Whats a DUH thing i could have not connected when i put it all together to prevent a start? I have spark out of plugs when cranking, can smell fuel and pump appears to be working,

Any thoughts?

email me please kmcarey2@comcast.net (goes to my blackberry)

THanks!:banana:

how old is the gas it might not be gas any more

or you didnt time the car right when you replaced the timing belt that the only duh i can think of good luck :banana:

Hey Guys!!

When i installed the timing belt, according to my repair manual i align the motor flyweel mark to 0 and then manually crank the cam gears to point to the little timing mark on the cam and on the timing cover attach to engine.

Since that I have pulled the distributor and rotated engine to 0. Reinstalled the distributor keeping it pointed at 1 plug.

still wont fire.

Reading your posts, I did not pull the #1 plug and make sure it was TDC of compression stroke (all the way up) as my book didn't tell me too.

I'll will pull the distributor back out and then crank engine till i get to plug 1 at top of stroke. Then install distributor with rotor pointing at 1 on the cap.

Correct?

please feel free to email me at kmcarey2@comcast.net (blackberry):grin:

There are two timing belts; pay attention to what GD says. What repair manual are you using?

Pull all the plugs, then put your left index fiinger over plug #1 and rotate the crank shaft; the rotor should be pointing in the general direction of #1 when you feel pressure. If you are 180 degrees off, you need to reset your distributor.

Hey Guys!!

When i installed the timing belt, according to my repair manual i align the motor flyweel mark to 0 and then manually crank the cam gears to point to the little timing mark on the cam and on the timing cover attach to engine.

Since that I have pulled the distributor and rotated engine to 0. Reinstalled the distributor keeping it pointed at 1 plug.

still wont fire.

Reading your posts, I did not pull the #1 plug and make sure it was TDC of compression stroke (all the way up) as my book didn't tell me too.

I'll will pull the distributor back out and then crank engine till i get to plug 1 at top of stroke. Then install distributor with rotor pointing at 1 on the cap.

Correct?

please feel free to email me at kmcarey2@comcast.net (blackberry):grin:

Hey Guys!!

You used the wrong timing marks for the belt if you lined it up with 0. There are seperate marks for ignition (the numbered marks with the 0, etc), and valve timing. The valve timing marks are three lonely hash marks all by themselves about 1/4 of a revolution away from the ignition marks IIRC.

You need to reinstall both belts using the valve timing marks. Only then can you time the distributor as I outlined above.

And yes - often the aftermarket manuals for these are good for little more than emergency toilet paper. The factory manuals are sometimes difficult to understand due to translation issues and that may account for some of the very poor procedures I've seen in the "$20 special" parts store manuals.

GD