Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone have any experience using electrical or mechanical repellants (not poisons) to keep the mice away. There is no food in the car, they are usually attracted in the winter to the warm engine, which is where they usually nest. Sometimes I am able to bait & trap them, but it is a pain when there are multiples of them to catch. They seem to get in the glove box & chew away the registration.

They are a real nuisance as they chew on the plug wires and chew away the registration in the glove box.

A cat wouldn't survive around this area too long with the coyotes. Snakes are not a good option either in past post. Poisons are also a bad solution. They eat them & die in a corner. I usually end up finding them literally months later. If it dies in the vent, I really don't want to breathe a rotting mouse carcass when I turn on the fan. I have had this happen several times in the past-nasty deal.

I live in a forrested area.

I've got major chipmunk issues. Cute but destructive.

I put some of those outside rat chunks out yesterday - the green Tomcat ones. They are all gone and I just saw a couple of them playing around. The pellets usually they save for winter and by the time they eat it it doesn't kill them.

I put out a few of those mouse trips with the little yellow paddle.

They ate the wiring on a VW bug I have outside. One just ran out of my lower garage that has a 90 S10 w/35k on it. The lower garage is somewhat attached to the house (breezeway). The upper garage has 6 antique VW's in it. Along with whatever car(s) I'm working on.

I've got no pets and the few neighbors that do have invisible fences or they are on a leash when they are outside. I'm not concerned about domestic's getting into it.

What can I use?

I need these critters GONE.

I have trouble with mice in the garages too, in the cars, lawn equipment, etc. I put out poison but they just take it and store it under the hood. Traps work the best it seems. I have had good results with one of these electronic pest repellers I got somewhere. Supposedly they hate fabric dryer sheets and stuffing a few of those under the hood keeps them away but I haven't tried it.

Our mouse problems went away when we took our bird feeders down. Someone told us that was what was bringing them around, after removing them we have not had anymore problems. So dont leave bird feed or pet feed around for them to eat. If they dont have feed they will go on down the road to someone that does.

Is the car being parked outdoors, or in a garage? If the latter, I can tell you what worked for me when I had the same problem.

Well now that you asked, I have plenty of garage space, but actually end up leaving the cars parked outside to deter break in's.

I am not sure exactly when the mice do their business because it's not something that is easily noticed. The problem is worse in the winter, but that doesn't mean they don't enter in other times of the year. If it's in the garage, I thought of using those electronic frequency devices, but not sure if they actually work.

Someone before mentioned they come in the air intake vents near the wipers. He said to remove them and add fine mesh. That's great if it's the only area they actually enter, but there is still the engine area which is a problem.

I've got major chipmunk issues. Cute but destructive.

I put some of those outside rat chunks out yesterday - the green Tomcat ones. They are all gone and I just saw a couple of them playing around. The pellets usually they save for winter and by the time they eat it it doesn't kill them.

I put out a few of those mouse trips with the little yellow paddle.

They ate the wiring on a VW bug I have outside. One just ran out of my lower garage that has a 90 S10 w/35k on it. The lower garage is somewhat attached to the house (breezeway). The upper garage has 6 antique VW's in it. Along with whatever car(s) I'm working on.

I've got no pets and the few neighbors that do have invisible fences or they are on a leash when they are outside. I'm not concerned about domestic's getting into it.

What can I use?

I need these critters GONE.

We also have a breezeway, and the chipmuncks too, but never seen them invade the engine. Man, our van has a worse problem than the Subaru, and the 4x4 truck doesn't seem to have a problem. I have seen many of them in the snow and they can jump really high, like at least 3', I absolutely couldn't believe it when I saw it the 1st time. I believe they must jump up into the area above the splashshields, then they are in. I have used traps in the car & in the engine compartment with good success, but I want something to keep them out entirely. I have tried putting traps under the car and I have caught them that way as well, but they usually quickly get forgotten & ran over.

I also thought of trying out one of the electronic devices.

Before I had a cement floor in the big garage something ate the same exact wire off 3 old VW's. The starter wire has a sheath(?) to protect it going over the transaxle. Apparently it's at the top of the munchie list - the covering/sheath. The rest of the 12 guage wire wasn't even eaten. Haven't found any other critter issues in those cars yet.

They ate the wireing on a bug outside.

I'm concerned about my personal cars, antiques, and the cars I fix and sell.

I'd like to get rid of the little fuzzy guys.

Our mouse problems went away when we took our bird feeders down. Someone told us that was what was bringing them around, after removing them we have not had anymore problems. So dont leave bird feed or pet feed around for them to eat. If they dont have feed they will go on down the road to someone that does.

Problem is here, we live in a forest, there is much in the way of wildlife. No need for birdseed here. Heck, too many species to count. When standing outside sounds like a bird sanctuary. I would figure the eagles alone would eat them as prey, but the mice re-generate really fast and in multiples every few days.

I have been recommended to get outdoor cats, but around here, we have black bear, coyotes, eagles, bobcat. They wouldn't last long. Kind of a dilemma.

I have trouble with mice in the garages too, in the cars, lawn equipment, etc. I put out poison but they just take it and store it under the hood. Traps work the best it seems. I have had good results with one of these electronic pest repellers I got somewhere. Supposedly they hate fabric dryer sheets and stuffing a few of those under the hood keeps them away but I haven't tried it.

Yes, I started out about 4 years ago using the bait and I would find it stored under the hood on top of the engine. Also yes to the traps, I have had the best success with them. Problem is your always having to check them. It is really annoying to have to always be on gaurd checking the traps.

I also heard about the dryer sheets maybe from another post.

Ive been thinking about getting some of those industrial type traps where they go into it and can't get back out. I have more trouble with mice in/around the house and basement than the garages. It's a mid 1800's house so it has a lot of spots mice can get in.

One time under the kitchen sink I caught seven mice in one day in the same trap hahaha. Somewhere I have a pic of a mouse that got caught in two traps, by the leg in the first one then ran along the wall and got nailed on the head by a second trap.

[...]The problem is worse in the winter, but that doesn't mean they don't enter in other times of the year. If it's in the garage, I thought of using those electronic frequency devices, but not sure if they actually work.

My property is semi-wooded, with lots of wildlife and natural food sources here also. I keep my cars garaged, and had underhood damage occuring (some food storage and chewed wiring). I realized that the mice not only appreciated the warmth of a recently-run engine, but also liked the darkness and protection of the engine compartment.

Initially I tried a Havahart trap baited with peanut butter, and had no problem catching mice. Since I didn't want to kill them, I released them at distance away that was supposedly well beyond that from which they should be able to find their way back. It didn't help -- either the same ones returned (don't know, since I didn't tag them :) ) or there were plenty to replace them.

My later approach was twofold. First, I got a couple of the electronic repellers -- they're the kind that send out a periodic burst of an ultrasonic frequency, which we humans hear as a ''click''. Secondly, and probably more importantly, I prop the hood open as soon as I pull a car in. That tends to dissipate the heat more rapidly, so it's probably not as inviting to the critters, and takes away the dark/closed environment. I haven't had to use solder and heat-shrink tubing since.

Mothballs are said to be effective in keeping the critters away.

They do not eat the mothballs and are not poisoned by them.

Using mothballs in this fashion may technically be illegal in some areas, but the hell with 'em.

Safe and effective.

Dave

I too, have heard of using moth balls, but don't know how well it works. A friend tried that, but it was annoying riding in his car with the moth ball smell.

I have also heard that the electronic sound repellers don't work well after a while. The critters get use to the sound much like humans get use to hearing fire truck or airplanes, if you live close to where those sound sources are located.

Keeping a cat in that garage at night would prolly keep the mice away. Also, since my wife and I have two Yorkie terriers, have learned that terrier dogs are sworn enemies of all rodents. I have seen one of my yorkies kill two squirrels and a mouse. Just attack and kill them right on the spot.

What's gross is using the green pellet poison bate. They apparently starve for water, but they also hemmorage externally from their mouths, eyes, & ears. :slobber:Before we had our house sealed I would find half of them would die in the middle of the basement floor which is unusual as they normally travel along edges of walls. The other 1/2 would die in some hidden area where I would find it all dried out & stuck to the carpet months later.:eek:

I believe that's exactly how most of the poisons work.

They go looking for water, which causes their blood to thin out and they bleed to death.

Gotta make sure the toilet lid is closed at the place in the mountains. They don't ferment well.

Infact I believe it's vitamin K that's a blood thickener that the vet needs to give a pet that has eaten one of these dead animals.