Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant system issue...Need some advice!

Guest vikon

Hello,

I have been having some issues with coolant system in my '99 Forester.

On start-ups there is water trickling sound comes from behind the dash, and lasts for a minute or so and then goes away. I'm assuming there is some air trapped in heater core. I tried bleeding the air out of the system two times with no results. The problem appeared after replacing coolant in the car. The car doesn't overheat, drives fine, no oil in the coolant, no coolant in the oil, no smoke, coolant stays in the system. I've also tried replacing radiator cap (I bought Stant brand at local parts store), with no results. Also, after bleeding the air out and bringing all of the levels to norm, coolant in the overflow tank goes up to higher level and steadily stays there. After a drive I see some bubbles coming out in the overflow tank indicating air in the system.

Here is the tricky part, I brought the car to my dealer suspecting blown head gasket. They pressure tested the coolant system and couldn't find anything wrong.

Please help!

Viktor

Guest tcspeer

I changed the temp. sending unit in my 97 Legacy, last week, and had to add water and mine done the same thing. I think you are right about air in the system, it seems to be fine now.

Guest gbhrps

Sounds like air in your heater core. I solved my problem on another vehicle, not a Sub, by jacking the front of the car up, turning the heat up to High (to open the system to the heater core), started up the cold engine, and with the rad cap off, I kept adding coolant until she came up to level, no more bubbles came out, and the temperature was up to normal. Problem solved in that case. I believe that elevating the nose of the car helped to force the air bubbles to climb uphill to the rad. Try it. It might work for you.

Guest synapse79

im not 100% sure, but i dont believe that subaru cooling systems work like that. I believe coolant flows through the heater core at all times.

If its a slight gurgling noise when you first start it up, that is air in the heater core. My impreza does that when i start it first start it once in a while, but you can only hear it if the radio is off and the windows are up and ur paying attention.

Does it make the draining noise after it has been running a while, or just when you first start it?

Guest meep424

park it pointing up hill.

Cold engine, start'er up, heater on, selector 100% hot.

with cap off, squeeze the upper radiator hose to help work air out.

In my ignorance, I never knew there was a bleed screw, but this method worked A-ok for me.

Meep

Guest Meeky Moose

ya know i flushed my 86' turbo wagon awhile back and its been doin teh same thing ever since.

i did park it on a hill, started her up, gurgled all the air out till no more would come out, then when i put the cap on and drive it, it blows out about a quart of coolant onto the ground, then stops. and never over heats, or blows anymore out, but it starts gurgling again. after wasting a gallon of antifreeze tryin to get the air out i said screw it and gave up. so it gurgles when i first start it, and gurgles when i shut it off, never overheats or gets close. just has air in teh system.

Guest vikon

Hello,

Thanks for your replies everybody! May be I'm going to try to bleed the system once again by raising the front of the car. See if that helps...

Thanks again!

Regards,

Viktor.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest vikon

:D Hello,

I just wanted to let everybody know that I've fixed the problem. The cause: upper hose clamp. It wasn't making a tight hose connection, and when the car cooled down the air got sucked in, leaving coolant in the overflow bottle behind. Air in the system was causing trickling water sound behind the dash. I replaced both clamps on the hose, and problem is fixed! :lol:

Thanks for all of your help!

Regards,

Viktor.