Ultimate Subaru Message Board

piston pin removal/silicone sealant?

How do YOU remove piston pins when taking apart ea82s?

I know subaru has a special tool that looks a lot like a slide hammer, but I couldn't find one, so a friend and I made a tool for it. We just took a large bolt about 5 inches long and ground down the head so that it could reach in and grab onto the pin from the other side. I then pryed up on the bolt and yanked the pins out.

I am wondering if I should be worried about damaging the piston or pin by removing it in this fashion? How can I tell if it is damaged (i.e: what sort of scratches or marks should I look for?)

Also, I read in the FSM that you need a product called ThreeBond 1215 to seal between the block halves and between the heads and cam cases. So far, I haven't been able to find this stuff. Subaru sells their special silicone sealer for this, but it's $40 for a little tube that would probably seal one or two engines if you're lucky. Where can I get ThreeBond? Is it even sold anymore? What else have people had good luck with as a substitute?

My diesel professor suggested anaerobic silicone sealant, as it is used in the same way on Detroit Diesels. Anybody know if this stuff would work?

anaerobic sealer comes in a lot of different types.

what I would sugest is permatex ultra grey. it meets the import specs for sealant. I have had good luck with it. go easy applying it to the case halfs espically near the oil pump. and yes it is a type of anaerobic sealer.

as for the piston pin tool. I made my own as well. you just dont want to scratch up the piston pin bore when removing the pin. The pins are really tough it would take a lot to damage them.

snowman

my local parts guy tells me threebond 1215 is a Felpro product. I would assume it's 3-m product by the three portion of it's name.

Ultra grey is good stuff

I too made a wrist pin puller that I was quite proud of. I could post a picture if anyone would like to see it.

Sounds like your deal worked just dandy. How about those clips? those are a pain

I'll try to post a pic of my "custom puller" too.

I talked to another professor who has resealed a bunch of subaru motors in his day, and he recommended the same stuff that my other professor did. I can't remember exactly what it's called, but this stuff is red. He says after using that stuff the motors never leaked. So I think I'll use that.