Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heat!

I have a 85 subaru GL 4dr sedan, 1.8 2bbl carb. I have no heat! changed out the thermostat, the manual talks about a heater control valve and also possibility of heater core...where is the control valve and is this a likely cause? Guess I have to tear out the dash to get the core? dont want to do this unless I know for certain this is the cause. Any tips / clues would be appreciated.

Tim

if you look down by the gas pedal, you can see all the dash vacumn lines etc... thats where the heater control valve goes to.

the hot to cold slider is hooked to linkage that runs down to the to valve.

You shouldnt have to pull your dash apart just yet, check all the linkage make sure everythigns hooked up

I had this problem last year..

Linkage was off

Well, i spent a good part of the night tearing into this, i put air thru both the inlet and outlet of the core openings at the fire wall, and pushed water thru both ways. Then tore into the bottom of the dash looking for the control valve, after messing with the linkage, it seemed it wAS WARMING UP, ALTHOUGH THE LINKAGE LOOKED AS IF IT WAS FUNTIONING PROPERLY! So, I started it up, let it warm up, and drove it home, about 15 miles down the highway, on a 20 degree morning. The longer the car ran the colder the air got inside the car, temp guage worked up to around the 3/4 mark.

Still baffled in Utah...............

PS...one difference I have noticed...it seems in the past when I would fire up the heat or defroster, i would feel the compressor kick on, a slight bog in the motor, since I have had this problem recently, I have NOT noticed this...???

Not that it's probably a hint in the right direction, but...

I was working on adjusting the hill holder on my Loyale a couple months back. Once I was done, out testing it, I noticed that no matter what I put the a/c selection on (besides off), the compressor & the rest of the a/c system came on.

There's a vacuum line that comes across the passenger side of the engine compartment, near the firewall, that I had dislodged (presumably with an elbow) while I was working on the hill holder adjustment. Popped that vaccum hose back on, and it worked again.

I'd check that hose for leaks...