Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'85 Brat EJ22 swap (Pics included)

gwilson87

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I was told it had to be an EA82 flywheel I can't remember the exact reasoning behind it but I did what I was told. Flywheel was $10 at the junkyard so it wasn't too bad.

Todays project consisted of trying to make a transmission X member that fits in where the old one did as well as fit the trans mounts since the 5pd d/r mounts are like this \ / (bolts from an angle) while the old trans was like this _ _ ( if that doesn't make sense pictures will come tomorrow) A little welding and I will have it strong enough as well as thin enough to mount up. Then add the driveshaft with carriage bearing mounting and then its mostly down to wiring!! :banana:

Since you are doing a lift kit, you can get an EA82 front crossmember with the power steering rack.

The width of the crossmember is wider than the EA81 one, but the lift blocks can be mounted offset to accomodate.

BW

I could. But the tie rods are also longer and the EA81 and EA82 rods are not interchangeable. I already gave that a go and now have a torn down EA82 cross member sitting in the garage. There is a EA81 with power steering at the junkyard!! Only problem... its under another car, AND surrounded on 3 sides by cars with cars ontop of them, and a steep hill on the other side. So who knows whats going to happen. Also, the lift won't come till later. Funds have pushed me to just get this thing working for now and then get a lift later.

Got my EA82 5sp trans cross member altered enough to fit. Had to do some welding which was festive mainly because I have never welded before. Turned out all good which made me happy because now my engine and trans are all bolted up and being held in the car without a hoist!! :banana: Next step is to get suspension bolted back together and then wiring. Pictures of my custom trans cross to come later.

No I was told it had to be an EA82 flywheel I can't remember the exact reasoning behind it but I did what I was told. Flywheel was $10 at the junkyard so it wasn't too bad.

You have to use the EA82 flywheel to accommodate the XT6 clutch. The EA81 flywheel can be used but it requires that a specific clutch disc be used - not all of the one's made for the EA82 will fit the EA81 flywheel. Some had square(ish) damper spring housings and some are round. The small round one's will fit but thee square units will not and neither will the larger round units like the XT6, etc.

Todays project consisted of trying to make a transmission X member that fits in where the old one did as well as fit the trans mounts since the 5pd d/r mounts are like this \ / (bolts from an angle) while the old trans was like this _ _ ( if that doesn't make sense pictures will come tomorrow) A little welding and I will have it strong enough as well as thin enough to mount up. Then add the driveshaft with carriage bearing mounting and then its mostly down to wiring!! :banana:

Jerry (Bratsrus1) makes a nice kit for that exact purpose and his price is very reasonable for the professional level of workmanship in his x-member.

I have used his kit for my Brat, and I also did a mount conversion to my wagon where I used 5 speed mounts on the 4 speed (might give you some ideas):

http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/4speed_mounts.html

You will also have to lengthen the 4WD shift rod by 1" for it to bolt to the 5 speed.

GD

Thats a pretty clever, and MUCH simpler way to mount it. However I also didn't have the old 4sp mounts, they had ripped in half and I'm pretty sure they left with the trans when 4x4 welder picked it up. What I did was for sure a lot more complicated but it was a learning experience and everything is bolted up.

You will also have to lengthen the 4WD shift rod by 1" for it to bolt to the 5 speed.

I haven't had to lengthen anything and its all bolted together. Were you talking about if I used the original brat 4wd lever instead of the 5sp one?

Alright i understand where all this lengthen 4wd stick nonsense was coming from now. I am currently figuring out how to make it work. Who is this jerry and where can I see his kit?

I found an ea81 power steering rack and pulled it this morning. The car it came from was under another car, surrounded by other cars with cars on top of them as well as wasp nests in those upper cars. It was an adventure for sure. Now the only thing I really "need" is my driveline shortened 1" or find a drivline that is the right length. I found one that is 56.5" long, anybody know if that will still work? What is the possibility of just having it mostly inside the trans? Or making a little adapter plate that bolts between the driveshaft and the rear diff to make it the right length? Any input would be GREAT!!

Sorry for the lack of pictures lately for those of you reading this write-up. I just got my driveshaft problem taken care of. Turns out my cousin used to make diesel drivesahfts, so while he was in town he cut, and welded up mine so it fits nicely. Pretty awesome that it was free also :banana: Now I just need to make a little bar to mount the carriage bearing and I'm set. Then its down to wiring, and exhaust. It's so close, I can almost smell it...

Woot for wheels!! Look what the Impreza brought home!

CIMG6424.JPG

A tad bigger than what I want, but I'm getting rid of the rubber to mount up something 205/75 R15. Still looks pretty mean.

CIMG6425.JPG

Ignore those pesky jack stands for the moment...

CIMG6427.JPG

also got my driveshaft spray painted and almost installed. Had family over for dinner so I was mostly distracted. More to come as this week progresses. My goal is to be done by friday night!!

Excellent! You're going to be so psyched when that ej fires up for the first time!

I still get psyched getting on my freeway entrance. The ej brat is the best. I think now that sko's frankenbrat got smashed mine is the only other ej brat in Cal. Have you talked at all with your smog ref about your swap? If you have any questions about it I got my smog sticker back in May and everything went smoothly.

Good work.

Daniel

I tried talking to the DMV about the swap and they said I would need a new VIN (technically) and to talk to the UHP (utah highway patrol). what would the HP have to do with new vins? a guy here who has been helping me a bit with the swap did an ej swap into his loyale and hasn't done anything with it as far as VIN's or whatnot.

Nope happy valley is just a local nickname for the orem/provo area. And if I get smogged as my donor vehicle then I will be in MUCH better shape than when I was smogged with the brat's original engine.

Driveline was installed today and I finally found my fuse-able links and started a bit of wiring. Side note, anyone know a good way to pound out wheel studs so I can start my 6 lug swap?

I drove through Provo last month twice! Its really beuatiful in that area. I went to Colorado to pick up a non-sube project vehicle.

In cal they test my brat as a 93 legacy. They put a tamper proof sticker under the hood with all the info about what emissions stuff is supposed to be there. The smog referee has to see this stuff and feel comfortable that they are working properly before he will pass the swap as smog legal. The guy wanted to see both cats from the legacy, and wanted to see my check engine light functioning properly and then lastly they did a smog test which included the new evap system test where they blow smoke into the evap system and look for leaks. I passed on everything except my gas cap, but the guy let me slide on that because when he took it off before the test you could here the pressure in the tank release.

Daniel

I will worry about smogg stuff when I get there. Currently i'm slightly paranoid about my power steering line being in the way of the EJ22 headers. hopefully someone can answer this hear for me so I don't have to make a new thread. The EJ x member had the power steering lines routed different than the EA81 member I have in it now. Is it possible to just hit up EVCO and get them to make me some custom soft line hoses that just go from the pump to the steering shaft inputs? Are the hard lines really neccesary for the fluid or would good hydro lines accomplish the same thing and just not "look as neat"? I will try and post pictures later tonight or tomorrow.

Not a bad idea, just make sure you keep them far enough away from the hot manifold or use steal braided. They will most likely move with pressure change like lines on a tractor. Watch out for rubbing and chaffing. Another idea would be to add some length and run them on the other side of the cross member. Just a thought.

My grandfather has been driving 18 wheelers since he was a teenager and back then when they wanted power steering they would just put a bigger steering wheel on the truck.:lol:

Let me know how you go about doing it, I am interested in doing the same swap.

Talked to EVCO today and they said they can make lines for me with the proper fittings. Gonna take everything in to them tomorrow after another visit to the junkyard for other steering stuff. I will make sure to take lots of pics of the hoses for those who want the info.

ok so here is where my exhaust is in comparison to my power steering lines.

edit%201.jpg

So I am thinking I can get the proper fittings put onto proper soft lines long enough to reach the power steering pump. Any thoughts?

I think the what is there already will be fine. There should be a clip that bolts the lines down tight against the crossmember, and will move them away from the exhaust another "1/2 or more.

Undid it and they didn't have much room. It also kinda scarred me having the lines THAT close to the exhaust. However!!!... The new power steering lines are made installed and the headers are bolted up also!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: Much thanks to the guys at EVCO for their help in making this system. Pictures will be posted of the assembly as well as part numbers for anyone interested. Total cost was $90 :mad: but it is clean and I am very happy with it.

It was a good day on the brat. Got my hoses made at EVCO, got a 10" reversible aftermarket radiator fan from the junkyard that clips to the radiator itself, and my steering linkage all for $15. Here is the pics and info on the power steering system I went with.

Part list:

1 - 16MMBT-6MJ Bump Tube Adapter

1 - 10BS Metric Bite Sleeve

1 - 6G-10MDL Male DIN Light M16x1.5

1 - 6G-6FJX Female JIC Flare Swivel

1 - 6G-5MFA Male Flareless

3.5 ft - 6MGT Megatech 1000 (cool looking fabric coated cable*)

3.5 ft - 6M2T Hydraulic hose 100R16 4000 PSI

Total cost was $90.79

Old stuff... fittings were cannibalized due to lack of metric fittings available to me. Word to the wise, evco is lacking in the metric division. luckily I had all this so I was able to get the proper equipment.

CIMG6461.JPG

Look at how pretty and clean it looks in comparison!

CIMG6462.JPG

The metal tube end is a reused fitting, I don't remember the size exact, but I know it was a 17mm nut and is on the return line of the power steering as seen in the pic of the two hoses.

CIMG6463.JPG

This is the other fittings. Taken from the high pressure side of the system, 14mm. There is only a fitting on the high pressure side because the return just clamps on. Hence the difference in hose type, The cool looking fabric one can me clamped on, while the rubber less cool looking one is better for the pressure.

CIMG6464.JPG

Here is the new fittings in place at the steering rack. Instead of going down under the engine I went up over the top, underneath the throttle body above my adapter plate. Leaving me plenty of space to bolt up the headers.

CIMG6471.JPG

The hoses hooked up the the PS pump.

CIMG6472.JPG

An overall view of things. I think an extra half foot would have been nice, but it worked none the less.

CIMG6473.JPG

Enjoy the views, let me know if you have any questions.