Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help with '02 WRX question pleeeeeease!!!

Greetings all,

I would very much like your help with the following issue - the more resopnses the better - here goes:

I am in the market for a car budget up to $19k

This has me looking at the following cars:

Honda Civic Si, Acura RSX -S, and Subie Impreza WRX

All are 2002 model years with less than 30k miles and with some searching can be had in my budget.

The problem - my heart tells me to get the WRX - I have yet to drive any of these cars, but everything I have researched points to this as being the emotional favourite and it seems to meet all my needs. BUT - I am very concerned about the clutch problems - I have read the entire post regarding this and know about the fix - but it seems there is a serious problem with SOA and customer-no-service and as I am investing a huge amount of my feeble finances into this car - I really don't want to get into a bad deal.

Also - is the WRX suitable for daily commuting (about 22 miles mostly freeway other than occasional roadtrips) or is that a waste of a great driving machine.

Got to commute in whichever car I buy - trying to avoid the horribly mundane (but reliable) Toyota/Nissan/Honda etc. as I do enjoy driving for driving's sake.

So - please give me your honest opinions - should I stay away from Subaru at this time and avoid the hassles??

Any comments on the other 2 cars on my list??

Thank you one and all for your open honest input - I just can't afford to make a mistake on this one.

Guest Hondasucks

I'd go for the WRX, not everyone has clutch problems with the WRX, just remember that for every one person on here who has a clutch problem, there are prolly 20 who have no problems.I've had 9 subes, only one of which was a POS, and that was because it was missing half it's parts when I got it and I kinda, half-arsed it back together lol..

Guest sirveaux

Out of those three, I'd go with the WRX. The Civic is just that, a Honda. Do you really want a Honda? Not that there's anything wrong with them, but everybody and their brother drives one. As for the RSX, a friend of mine brought one home last year that she had just bought new. I was really shocked by the build quality, it was really low rent (even compared to my 6 year older and 130k mile more worn Legacy). I've had very little experience with Honda/Acura, but I would hope they're not all like that. The absolute only things I liked about her RSX were the color and the wheels.

-Ryan

Guest impreza555

Get the Rex if you live in a northern state where snow is a common site in the winter. There is nothing more satisfying than cruising around in 1 foot of snow in my subie and watching all of my other friends get stuck in their POS "winter" cars. And even if you dont live in a snow state, the wrx will kick rump roast in the rain against any car. Although i have read some bad posts about the 02 clutches, i think the Rex is the better choice. Whats up to you is what you think is better looking, and more worth the money.

Tim

Thanks for the replies, please keep them comming.

I would like to hear from as many people as possible to get a good sense of how widespread the poor customer service problem is and how many WRX owners have had clutch problems.

As for looks, well thats where the whole thing falls apart - while so many people hate the look of the WRX, I LOVE IT - is this a sign, am I destined to drive one?!?!?!

But gotta make the most sensible choice for quality and longevity in this investment.

How many of you WRX owners drive your car as an everyday transport????

Thanks again to everyone for all your input.

Best Wishes

Guest TinyClark

If gas is a consideration because of commute length or price per gallon, the Subie probably ranks lowest of the 3.

Bit, if the MPG doesn't matter, go for the WRX.

• 1 year later...

Hey. You will like to hear this! I own an 02 wrx, (since new). I luv it! I ve got about 53k on it I do have a bit of clutch chatter once and a while, but nothing that the fun doesn't make up for it. I work as an auto mechanic at a Ford dealership, I drive to work EVERYDAY and it is about a 10 min drive in town/highway mix. My girlfreind and I have a 6 year old girl, and expecting another ant tne end of the month and she drives it all the time too. One More reson to go for the wrx, well maybe two. I have a buddy that currently owns 5 vehicles, a 69 charger. 70 challenger, 00 dodge ram. 01 volvo.and an 04wrx sti I know that the sti has more power and sutch but with the two muscle cars with big blocks, you can;t him out of the Subaru. He used to own an 02 wrx just like mine and he said that the wrx is byfar a smoother car to drive. Reson #2 is that all subarus are rated to be one of the safest cars on the road..... plane and simple man Go for the wrx. Who cares if you have to put a clutch in it, big Deal...Time for an upgrade????p.s Its KICK rump roast in the snow!!!!

I prefer the Forester XT. Much cheaper to insure and faster than a WRX. No problems, either. The other cars on your list are fun handlers, but very mundane performance-wise. Of course you do realize any turbo Subaru requires premium gas, which is like $2.60 a galllon where I live.

Those are all great cars that you'd be happy with, I think. So it comes down to what you want.

Don't forget, the WRX is an econobox as well, just with more of a rally heritage than most. I had an '02 WRX wagon with absolutely no problems, the only real problem was you get the mod bug and next thing you know you're driving a racecar that's not that fun to commute in.

I also had a CRX Si that was a frickin blast. I loved that car, Honda Civics are amazing engineering for the price. They're front wheel drive though, and torque steer can be an issue.

I don't know anything about the RSX's other than that they seem to have alot of potential but are kind of girl cars...;) but again, Honda (Acura) engineering is not to be dismissed.

Have you driven these cars? A turbo AWD car is a totally different beast than a high rev FWD car. Good luck, I don't think you can go wrong really but to me the Subaru is the better deal.

I would like to go with the WRX but with all turbo car i rather be the first buyer and not the second hand. The reason is that you don't know the previous history owner of the car. But out of the three you listed i go with the WRX.

Greetings all,

I would very much like your help with the following issue - the more resopnses the better - here goes:

I am in the market for a car budget up to $19k

This has me looking at the following cars:

Honda Civic Si, Acura RSX -S, and Subie Impreza WRX

All are 2002 model years with less than 30k miles and with some searching can be had in my budget.

The problem - my heart tells me to get the WRX - I have yet to drive any of these cars, but everything I have researched points to this as being the emotional favourite and it seems to meet all my needs. BUT - I am very concerned about the clutch problems - I have read the entire post regarding this and know about the fix - but it seems there is a serious problem with SOA and customer-no-service and as I am investing a huge amount of my feeble finances into this car - I really don't want to get into a bad deal.

Also - is the WRX suitable for daily commuting (about 22 miles mostly freeway other than occasional roadtrips) or is that a waste of a great driving machine.

Got to commute in whichever car I buy - trying to avoid the horribly mundane (but reliable) Toyota/Nissan/Honda etc. as I do enjoy driving for driving's sake.

So - please give me your honest opinions - should I stay away from Subaru at this time and avoid the hassles??

Any comments on the other 2 cars on my list??

Thank you one and all for your open honest input - I just can't afford to make a mistake on this one.