Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping a ej22 sohc for an ej25 dohc in a 98 Outback

cskins

I have an 98 legacy outback with an ej25 with 211,000 miles. The head gasket is blown and I don't think with that many miles it is worth the repair. Can I swap the engine out for an ej22 from around the same model year?

I have an 98 legacy outback with an ej25 with 211,000 miles. The head gasket is blown and I don't think with that many miles it is worth the repair. Can I swap the engine out for an ej22 from around the same model year?

yes, there is lots of info here about that swap. Do a search and will find!!

it's best to do some reading and searching here for the swap, take a few notes as you go along. it is really easy, but it's a very lengthy discussion with the small details and choices to make. get a good grip on it all and ask what is confusing you.

used the advanced search so you can narrow it down some.

Thanks for the info. I found a 96 ej22 from a 96 automatic. I have a 5speed is there any problem with the swap. I understand I will need the exhaust manifold but are there issues with the tranny hookup

no problems, that will work just fine. get the exhaust manifold and it's a bolt in and plug in affair.

only concern is EGR - make sure the 1996 has EGR (99% of them do). as your EJ25 will have EGR.

KEEP your EJ25 on hand, you'll need some small bits from the accessories off the EJ25 that bolt right onto the EJ22 (like power steering and a/c brackets), I do this stuff at the end, after the engine is in place. Leave the EJ25 A/C in place in the car, it'll swing out of the way enough to swap motors.

Thanks again

two more questions

My AC compressor is shot on the 98 Can I take the compressor from the ej22?

Also since the ej22 came from an automatic should I buy a cluthch kit for the ej22 or the ej25? You guys are great. Thanks for the help

Don't know about the AC compressor - I just know to look at them. Sometimes the hoses come off at different points and if you have the whole car you can just switch hoses.

You'll be using the 2.5 flywheel so get the clutch for it.

You haven't done much research have you?

Perhaps that was a bit harsh.

Please do some searching.

There are excellent threads on compatability of engines and parts. As well as the procedure itself.

Answering the same simple questions all of the time gets a little old. And you're bound to have more if you don't do some searching and reading.

There is lots of good advice and experience on this board.

Edited by davebugs

I will try to keep my questions and comments simple concise and to the point.

I would like To swap a 2.2 EJ SOHC from a 99 impreza that was bolted to a Manual transmission into a 1998 outback with a 2.5 EJ DOHC auto transmission.

My research has told me:

1. I need to have an intake with an EGR value. That means from a 96 and newer 2.2.

2. The crank and cam gears-sensors may need changing.

3. The y pipe will have to be changed. That’s easy.

4. Some manipulation of the power steering lines.

I keep asking similar questions because I keep getting inconsistent information.

Some threads read--- change the intake,,,they infer put the intake from the 2.5 onto the 2.2. My eyesight tells me they are not interchangeable.

Some people suggest change the heads. That raises other questions,

Will ej25 dohc heads fit on an ej22 sohc block?

If so what would the new Compression Ratio be?

What head gaskets to use?

Back to research and information, I have worked on autos for 30 years. I have COMPLETELY restored approx 7 vehicles. My last two were a Porsche 911 and a Porsche 944. I have also tried retrieving information from several Subaru Dealerships.

The trouble is,,, your speaking with service advisers many (Not All) that don’t know how to change a tire.

If there is one thing I can share is, ask people who have done it (who know) for advice. Not the people who pay to have it done and talk about the job like they have done it themselves. People who THINK but have never tried to do it, or have done it are guessing and thus pass on inconsistent information.

Wanting to hear from people who KNOW has brought me to this forum. I am more than grateful to any one who can share and fill in my information gaps. And thus I have no problem sharing the knowledge that I have gained working on my first Subaru. If that means repeating myself once in a while well that’s okay. We will all do that as we get older anyhow.

If I could figure out how to start a new thread I would do so.

As for my questions I more than grateful to anyone who can help.

If someone doesn’t know the answers that’s okay don’t waste your keyboard strokes with making snarky comments. That is, what is really a waste of everyone’s time.

I apologize If this sounds short , it’s getting Late

Andrew

Edited by 4ahickey

As long as you didn't overhead the bejeezus out of it it's probably fine. Is the headgasket actually blown, or is it leaking coolant to the outside? As long as it didn't get hot enough to melt the timing belt covers, the heads are probably fine. It's worth looking into, as if you replace the head gaskets with quality gaskets (Superseded OEM or Fel-Pro), it won't leak again in most cases, at least none of the gaskets we've done at my work have come back, and the EJ22 puts out 25-30 HP less than the EJ25, so even though the EJ22 is more reliable in terms of head gaskets, it might be worth it to stick with the EJ25. Also, the EJ25 DOHC *IS* an interference motor, so you will also want to replace the timing belt while you are in there.