Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help: Engine Swap questions 2.5 EJ DOHC AT to a 2.2 EJ SOHC MT

Help,,,

I'm thinking of replacing my engine in my 1998 outback AT 2.5 DOHC with an engine 2.2 EJ from a 1999 impreza Manual transmission.

This is my first Subaru, GREAT CAR, a crapp engine- Piston swap and a noisy rod bearing. Despite the fact I did a full rebuilt 10 km ago. The thought of opening that engine case again almost makes me ill.

I have already bought the 2.2 EJ engine and exhaust system. low miles and excellent leak down. It was a great deal.

Will the intake manifold from the 2.5 EJ DOHC AT fit on the 2.2 EJ SOHC MT?

The gaskets look different. Will an adapter plate work?

Will 2.5 EJ DOHC heads go on the 2.2 EJ block? what would the CR be? Can I use 2.5 head gaskets? I have an extra pair...

Do I need to change the ECM?

What about the Power Steering lines?

the Y pipe I'm okay with..

please help...

Help: Engine Swap questions 2.5 EJ DOHC AT to a 2.2 EJ SOHC MT

Edited by 4ahickey

the intake manifolds are not interchangeable.

99 had some significant changes to it, i'm not sure if the electronics are different or not - meaning a 1998 will plug and play - a 1999 i'm not sure.

As a last resort the for sure way is to "make" an Ej25 manifold by swapping your Ej25 intake manifold wiring harness onto the EJ22 intake manifold. then you KNOW it's plug and play.

also a chance the cam pulleys aren't going to work for you. on SOHC swaps you can just swap cam pulleys, not sure if that still works on SOHC to DOHC swaps like this. you'd need to swap the pulley that has the sensor associated with it i suppose - but that's uncharted territory for me.

assuming you get everything to work, you don't need to touch the ECU.

glad to see you posting a thread, this is the way to go about it, not PM's copied and pasted to a bunch of folks.

Hi All.

I spoke with Terry at CCR Engines in Denver. He was great. Very knowledgable. as most of the people on this forum.

Some of my Interchangability summary/updates.

Remember I removing a 2.5 l DOHC (1998) Auto and Replacing it with a 2.2L SOHC (1990) from a 5 Spd car.

The Y from the 2.2 l must be used. The 2.5 l DOHC (1998) has two exhaust ports per head. The 2.2L SOHC (1999) has one 2.2L SOHC (1999).

I am replacing the intake manifold on the 2.2L SOHC (1999) with one from a 2.2L (1996) auto trans. it has the same injectors wiring EGR and TPS sensor setup as the 2.5 l DOHC (1998).

Obviously, I need to use the flex plate from the 2.5 l DOHC (1998). The 2.2 l was from a 5 Spd and thus had a flywheel.

At last, I must check the number of metal bumps that trigger the sensor on the cam and crank pulleys. I'm looking for a seven and six confiruration respectfully.

Asumming they match, fliuds, several gaskets, and I'm good to go.

If I have forgot anything let me know.