Ultimate Subaru Message Board

driving in low range all the time, is it bad for tranny

oooo

those of you that have lifted your dual range subarus and run atleast 27 in tires or larger. How is the power and acceleration when in low range. Will it hurt the transmission to just keep it in low all the time, so car is not as slow as a snail. I have a new 97 impreza with the manual 3.9 and have 27.5 inch all terrians and its pathetic when accelerating. I was gonna swap in the 4.11 out of an outback but if I can swap in the 3.9 with low range and just keep it in low all the time I might do that. That way I will have a locking center diff. Also does anybody know what the 3.9 in low range is equivalent to. Is it close to 4.11 gearing?

Thanks in advance

Do the dual stick mod as mentioned and just use lo/1st as your first gear. Shift to hi for "second" then use you gear shift as normal. Sounds wierd but I've noticed that the lo range is really just like having one more first gear under the hi range first. (at least in some experimental driving on gravel roads it certainly feels that way.) (note it actually changes all the ratios as the lo range does it's reduction before the power enters the rest of the tranny, poke around, you'll find more info on it)

So you don't have to drive around all the time in lo, just use it to get going.

If that makes sense... :)

Its never bothered MY 4-spd, and I run in low all the time. (2WD lo)

I did the 2WD LO mod on my lifted brat about 2 years ago.

With my 29's I NEEDED it!

Anyway, I have found that 1st lo IS excellent for starting off without having to slip the clutch.

However, there ARE perks to using LO in the higher gears that were not apparent at first.

For long, steep hill climbs for instance... Lo range 2wd gives you "shorter" gears, and with that some considerable advantage.

For accelerating on long flats, HI range 2wd is best as it gives you taller gearing, therefore FASTER accel.

Edited by backwoodsboy