Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vehicle Sensor A, Code P0500, Which VSS?

1996 Legacy Brighton Automatic, 180K.

- Erratic Speedometer under 30mph. Usually works fine above

- CEL - pulled codes @ Autozone = Vehicle Sensor A, Code P0500

- Electric VSS on the front of the tranny, near the diff dipstick.

Code P0500 doesn't specifiy which VSS and all references I've seen state VSS 1 or VSS 2. Does VSS A = VSS1?

From what I've read on here VSS1 is on the back of the tranny and VSS2 is on the front. This LINK also shows the VSS1 is on the back; VSS 2 on back.

This POST , w/the exact same CEL info states it's 'on the tranny', but since theirs is a manual, I don't know which one?

Since the speedo is affected, my guess it's the front one, but since that part (85082AC012) is $100, I'd rather not make a mistake.

:confused:

Thanks for any clarification!

Edited by wtdash

i would look for a used front speed sensor, they are the same 95 -99 for both engines, at the very least. probably the same on the 2000 and up, but i don't know.

some one here should have a shelf full of them.

you may be able to carefully turn the input with an electric drill while it's attached to the sensor wire connection to test it before you install it. but the install is easy. (edit: easy out of the car, never done it in the car)

Edited by johnceggleston

Replaced the front VSS (#2) and speedo is still inconsistent.

Sounds like I need a speedo head? Does it require a new speedo or is it a separate part?

Reset the ECU by removing the Neg battery cable, to get rid of the CEL, but it'll be back.

I also found the Green connectors under the driver's side dash, but no Black connectors (I do have 'me on my '90 legacy) per this LINK, which could be used to clear the codes.

Thanks,

Td

• 2 years later...

Yes, this is an almost 3 year old thread, but I came across it today, & I decided to close it. (Since I can't update the original...Why?? Every other forum allows it.:confused:)

I bought a used cluster w/the Tach (Brightons don't have one) and the Speedometer, and it had almost the same Odometer (w/in 5k) reading.

IIRC it was out of another Legacy L/LS vs. an OB/LSi/GT. I think those might be geared differently since the rear final drive ratio is different??

Still working fine after swapping it out, and it was a pretty easy job, too.

Thanks

Td

Edited by wtdash