Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Positive terminal erosion, overcharging, or what?

Guest mtsmiths

Had to replace the positive terminal clamp on our '00 Legacy, so corroded that the copper was eaten almost clear thru on one whole side, and couldn't be tightened without breaking it. I've been cleaning and greasing it for over a year, and have to do it about every three months. I know the steel bolt thru the copper clamp and that plastic glove doesn't help (Whatever was Subaru thinking of?), but it sure seems to build up quickly.

I seem to remember from back in the old days (you know, generators, voltage regulators, floor mounted starter switches, 6-volt pos grnd) that rapid build up meant overcharging. The car shows no symptoms (Brighton, so no ammeter) other than the usual O2 sensor CEL toss-offs every few thousand miles.

Any ideas?

Guest tcspeer

Our Saturn done this, my thought is battery gas is leaking from around the battery post. You can replace battery or their is the little felt cusions you can put around battery post,you can get them at Wal Mart or auto store, just clean battery good and spray with that chemical stuff they have their in battery dept. We put a new battery on our Saturn along with the felt pads and chemical spray and have not had the problem repeat yet and it has been around six months.

Guest remarcable

My positive battery terminal is growing new life forms under that red plastic shroud of doom.

I'm not kidding I swear the white/blue crystaline mass formed an eye and winked at me last time I lifted the cover.

I'm scared. :eek:

Guest Legacy777

use some baking soda, clean things up very good, then when everything is clean, spray some protector spray on there.

Guest scoobtech

Its just the battery gassing off , get a good brand & it should take care of it . Maintenance is still going to be required . :cool:

Guest TinyClark

You can also lay some old pennies ( the real copper ones) between the + and - posts. This will cause any corrosion to occur on the pennies instead.