Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My 73' Coupe Restoration

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#101 Datsunrides

Datsunrides

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • Hollister-Nor Cal

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:18 PM

I FINALLY got the cowl repairs done! :banana: No more rust!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still need to "finish" it, but the welding is basically done. Next I was going to weld in the rusted out piece for the fresh air inlet and patch in the right front wheel well. Got the air inlet piece trimed and ready to go and started to cut out the wheel well. What I thought would be a 3"x3" patch turned into this,

Posted Image

Oh well, I guess it's better to find this now. :rolleyes: I hope to have this are treated to fresh metal and finish the fresh air area along with seam sealing the front next week, then I can move onto the rusty trunk areas. The main issue I see is Subaru either did a poor job seam sealing, used a bad product, or a combination of both. I feel if it had been properly sealed, I would not be seeing these issues. Oh, and since I was at it, I removed the battery tray since the plan is to mount a dry cell up where the spare tire used to go. Glad I did as, you guessed it, there was rust (only surface at this point) there.

Posted Image

I am also working on rebuilding the side glass holders (centers rusted out) and hope to have that tackled soon. That's it for now.

Mark

#102 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,254 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:42 AM

:) way to move forward !

Any contact with "drivesubies" over this? He's in the process of doing the same car.

...and how's your rear windshield gasket? I may have a good used one here that showed up. I do have a guy who's been asking me about this for several months now. He's in ID restoring the same car.

#103 Datsunrides

Datsunrides

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • Hollister-Nor Cal

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:26 AM

Thanks Paul. Yes, I have been in contact with Danny, but over parts. I don't think I was aware he was restoring one of these also. I could use that gasket if it would survive the trip, along with those side markers you were supposed to be checking on. :):popcorn: All ya gotta do is let me know and I'll pull out my paypal pen! :brow:

Mark

#104 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,254 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:29 PM

:) I'll surely get on it soon.

#105 Datsunrides

Datsunrides

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • Hollister-Nor Cal

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:44 PM

Gotta love the USPS. Wonder why they have a bad rep.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:mad::mad::mad::Flame:

Mark

#106 BigAl

BigAl

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Westminster, CO

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

That is ridiculous. :-\

Did it come with all those dents or were some of them from beating the UPS driver with it ?

#107 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,254 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:15 PM

FedEx Ground - much better.

Mark , there's a few of us with those trunk lids out there. Between Subaru3 , drivesubies , ctsuba , and wagonsonly .... and myself , there's probably another half dozen out there.

#108 Datsunrides

Datsunrides

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • Hollister-Nor Cal

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:35 PM

Paul, I got this one from Danny. I know there are others out there, but it sucks that a NOS one got destroyed. Danny has another one, it will just take some time for him to dig it out. Oh, and the whole mess with dealing with the post office. Yeah, there was no insurance, but come on, I would not call this incidental damage. Something extremely heavy fell on it (but usps does not ship anything over 70 lbs....) or something ran it over. You don't get damage like this in a reinforced area simply by dropping it. I have actually had good results with usps, until now. We'll see if they make this right. Some good news, the NOS glass holders made it unscathed! :banana:

Mark

#109 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,692 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

UPS ships up to 150lbs :confused:

I know this for a fact, I used to ship out/receive shortblocks at work. They were just under 150lbs.

Commercial only rule maybe?

#110 Datsunrides

Datsunrides

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • Hollister-Nor Cal

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:30 PM

Don't know. The postmaster at my office told me they don't ship over 70 lbs so I don't know if they have a separate service like fedex ground vs. freight. Either way, damage to this extent should not happen.

Mark

#111 2.5_IMP

2.5_IMP

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • CP, MD

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:55 AM

UPS ships up to 150lbs :confused:

I know this for a fact, I used to ship out/receive shortblocks at work. They were just under 150lbs.

Commercial only rule maybe?

USPS has a 70 lb. limit.
UPS will ship up to 150.

#112 Datsunrides

Datsunrides

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • Hollister-Nor Cal

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

Just bumping this up. I still have the car and intend to finish it at some point. Been busy finishing some other long term projects, but hopefully I can get back on it this summer (I need a break!). Oh, and sorry for the dead links. Webshots really screwed people over. I attached a pic of what it looked like when I got it. Click for full size.

Attached File  000_0755.JPG   137.99K   42 downloads

Attached File  000_0754.JPG   122.12K   35 downloads

Mark

Edited by Datsunrides, 20 April 2014 - 10:43 PM.

#113 RustyBrat

RustyBrat

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 699 posts
  • Cascade Idaho

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

i'll take it if you're tired of it... :grin:

#114 Leeroy

Leeroy

Old boxer tricks!

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • Albury, NSW, Australia

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

Glad you are still around! Yes I was disappointed when your photos disappeared, especially your work with the cowl area repair.

Will look foward to future updates.

#115 Datsunrides

Datsunrides

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • Hollister-Nor Cal

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:56 PM

Yeah, been finishing up a 72' TE28 wagon and a 66' 520 pickup over the last couple years. Honestly let this stall out due to the difficulty of obtaining parts. Need to get back to pestering Danny! No promises, but I will see about re-linking pics as (if) I get time. RustyBrat, you can come get it so long as you bring a pile of cash! :lol:

Mark

#116 RustyBrat

RustyBrat

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 699 posts
  • Cascade Idaho

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:12 PM

haha not that i have any money, but how big a pile of cash are talking about?

#117 Datsunrides

Datsunrides

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • Hollister-Nor Cal

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

Actually, I'd really like to finish it off myself. As you know, these early coupes are rare birds and it would be cool to actually get one back on the road. You wouldn't want to know what I would need to get for this to let it go with what I've invested so far..... (actually I don't need to be reminded either! LOL)

#118 RustyBrat

RustyBrat

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 699 posts
  • Cascade Idaho

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:22 PM

:) alright, i feel ya haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users