Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 73' Coupe Restoration

I FINALLY got the cowl repairs done! :banana: No more rust!

2754383540070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

2146197010070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

Still need to "finish" it, but the welding is basically done. Next I was going to weld in the rusted out piece for the fresh air inlet and patch in the right front wheel well. Got the air inlet piece trimed and ready to go and started to cut out the wheel well. What I thought would be a 3"x3" patch turned into this,

2223095630070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

Oh well, I guess it's better to find this now. :rolleyes: I hope to have this are treated to fresh metal and finish the fresh air area along with seam sealing the front next week, then I can move onto the rusty trunk areas. The main issue I see is Subaru either did a poor job seam sealing, used a bad product, or a combination of both. I feel if it had been properly sealed, I would not be seeing these issues. Oh, and since I was at it, I removed the battery tray since the plan is to mount a dry cell up where the spare tire used to go. Glad I did as, you guessed it, there was rust (only surface at this point) there.

2012864060070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

I am also working on rebuilding the side glass holders (centers rusted out) and hope to have that tackled soon. That's it for now.

Mark

• Like 1

:) way to move forward !

Any contact with "drivesubies" over this? He's in the process of doing the same car.

...and how's your rear windshield gasket? I may have a good used one here that showed up. I do have a guy who's been asking me about this for several months now. He's in ID restoring the same car.

Thanks Paul. Yes, I have been in contact with Danny, but over parts. I don't think I was aware he was restoring one of these also. I could use that gasket if it would survive the trip, along with those side markers you were supposed to be checking on. :):popcorn: All ya gotta do is let me know and I'll pull out my paypal pen! :brow:

Mark

• 8 months later...

Paul, I got this one from Danny. I know there are others out there, but it sucks that a NOS one got destroyed. Danny has another one, it will just take some time for him to dig it out. Oh, and the whole mess with dealing with the post office. Yeah, there was no insurance, but come on, I would not call this incidental damage. Something extremely heavy fell on it (but usps does not ship anything over 70 lbs....) or something ran it over. You don't get damage like this in a reinforced area simply by dropping it. I have actually had good results with usps, until now. We'll see if they make this right. Some good news, the NOS glass holders made it unscathed! :banana:

Mark

• 2 years later...

Just bumping this up. I still have the car and intend to finish it at some point. Been busy finishing some other long term projects, but hopefully I can get back on it this summer (I need a break!). Oh, and sorry for the dead links. Webshots really screwed people over. I attached a pic of what it looked like when I got it. Click for full size.

post-22909-0-78196300-1398051143_thumb.jpg

post-22909-0-38803300-1398051713_thumb.jpg

Mark

Edited by Datsunrides
  • Like 1

Yeah, been finishing up a 72' TE28 wagon and a 66' 520 pickup over the last couple years. Honestly let this stall out due to the difficulty of obtaining parts. Need to get back to pestering Danny! No promises, but I will see about re-linking pics as (if) I get time. RustyBrat, you can come get it so long as you bring a pile of cash! :lol:

Mark

Actually, I'd really like to finish it off myself. As you know, these early coupes are rare birds and it would be cool to actually get one back on the road. You wouldn't want to know what I would need to get for this to let it go with what I've invested so far..... (actually I don't need to be reminded either! LOL)

• 5 months later...

So while the Subaru sat, I finished these,

rMFt9H.jpg

gh3e6.jpg

Last weekend I uncovered the car after sitting outside for a few years and am now in the process of scuffing down the entire car (again) to re-epoxy it as gotten slightly rusty on the surface. Still need to finish the rust repairs on the passenger wheel well, cowl opening for the fan, and the rear corners of the trunk. I'll post up a current pic of the car soon. The plan is to try and complete the car for the 2015 JCCS show. Pretty ambitious, but we'll see how it goes with only 1 other project I'm also dealing with.

• Like 2

Ok, so I spent some time and added back most of the pics that the links were lost. The ones that are not back are because I do not have them anymore. Something to do with a hard drive crash a few years ago and I was not able to retrieve all the pics. Better than nothing I guess. :huh:

Mark

Nice work there - ( I will have to do the same job you have done to my '74 wagon at some stage )

I'll be looking forward to see the end result ... ;)

P.S. - You might be able to recover some of your photos by searching for 'cache' files on the web ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

• 2 weeks later...