Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Bolt-in EA series Alternator upgrade. Nissan Maxima alt installation guide.

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#26 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:42 AM

The stock units don't seem overly reliable and when you add a few lights and maybe a decent stereo they really don't cut it at all.

GD

Hell, they barely cut it for stock applications :lol:

Good find rick.

#27 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:59 AM

and now there is a post for a WTB Maxima alternator.......

#28 TheYeti

TheYeti

Carp in Denim!

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Arvada

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:33 AM

So I was going to do this for the hatch over the past weekend after a successful visit to the PnP. I don't think the Maximom alternator is going to clear the Hitachi setup.

This can only mean one thing: Weber. :)

#29 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:31 AM

So I was going to do this for the hatch over the past weekend after a successful visit to the PnP. I don't think the Maximom alternator is going to clear the Hitachi setup.

This can only mean one thing: Weber. :)

VERY GOOD INFO< THIS MOD WONT WORK WITH THe STOCK AIR CLEANER BOX/HITACHI.....the kidney bean thing is too large and in the way
note to others...took 3 pages of threads for some real info. thanks TheYeti.

#30 Txakura

Txakura

Not the Stig

• Members
  • 1,007 posts
  • Colfax, WA

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:44 AM

Grinding down that spacer could be a pain in the butt though. I know it probally sounds stupid but would a stack of washers do the same job.

It probably would work fine, (washers). This is an excellent post. Is it incorrect to think this would work on an ea82 also? I have some aux lighting and it would be good to ask for a lesser percentage of the maximum rating of the stock 55 amp. I had been eyeballing the 100 amp in my Jeep... but this is such a nice slam dunk. Now I have another reason to go wander the yards... :)

#31 SoobieDoo

SoobieDoo

GL's...the luxury wheeler

• Members
  • 838 posts
  • ZigZag

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:55 PM

It probably would work fine, (washers). This is an excellent post. Is it incorrect to think this would work on an ea82 also? I have some aux lighting and it would be good to ask for a lesser percentage of the maximum rating of the stock 55 amp. I had been eyeballing the 100 amp in my Jeep... but this is such a nice slam dunk. Now I have another reason to go wander the yards... :)

It'll work fine on the EA82's. Somewhere in this post, GD said many EA81 replacements are EA82 anyway. You may even have the pulley needed on your stocker. :banana:

#32 Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Yacolt,WA

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:52 AM

It WILL fit an EA81 with the stock carb and air cleaner. The only place it hits is the air cleaner bracket and you can grind or file the 1/8" off the ear to get the clearance needed to tighten the belt. This is the EA81 that I put in the wifes 87' EA82.
Ed

#33 TheYeti

TheYeti

Carp in Denim!

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Arvada

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:46 AM

Ed, can you clarify that one please? Are you saying the Maximom alternator will fit the Hitachi set up in an EA81/82, or are you saying the EA81 alternator will fit an EA82?

Thanks.

#34 Psyko

Psyko

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 406 posts
  • Washington

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:10 AM

Looks/sounds like an EA82 gen wagon with a stock EA81 engine and a Maxima alternator.

#35 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:24 AM

Looks/sounds like an EA82 gen wagon with a stock EA81 engine and a Maxima alternator.

but what intake manifold on this ?
that might be the problem.

#36 Psyko

Psyko

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 406 posts
  • Washington

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:46 AM

but what intake manifold on this ?
that might be the problem.

It WILL fit an EA81 with the stock carb and air cleaner.

EA81 perhaps?

#37 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:33 PM

Ive seen Ed's car, and he has a stock EA81 with stock EA81 manifold on it, with a Maxima alternator and a home rigged power steering bracket. It all works quite nicely, he did mention having to grind/file down a little off the ear of the alt to clear the air cleaner...

I myself am partial to the GM alt swap, I have a parts guy that gets em to me for less than cost, and it took about 15 minutes to mount it, using one of those chrome adjuster bars for a small block chevy that I offset just a bit. With the GM swap any autoparts store will have one in stock, they were the same unit from the 60's all the way to the late 80's.

The Maxima swap is the perfect, bolt-in, minimal modification needed swap for the DIY'er, or the novice car-tinkerer lookin to upgrade his charging system.

-Bill

#38 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 794 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:43 AM

Would alternators from a '89 maxima work?

EDIT: according to NAPA the second and third gen maxima use the same alternator

Edited by Markus56, 21 July 2009 - 12:20 PM.

#39 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:34 PM

Still not understand which would be the best way to go. Nissan for ease or GM for less cost.

#40 Redcap

Redcap

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Lewis County, WA

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:13 PM

Still not understand which would be the best way to go. Nissan for ease or GM for less cost.

The GM is way more common.

#41 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

Depends on what you have access to and are comfortable with. I've done both and I would rather just use the Nissan - no fuss with mounting it and it keeps my Japanese car using Japanese parts. I get em cheap in the junk yards and they seem quite reliable. Not much more expensive than a comparable GM alt in the aftermarket either.

GD

#42 sprale

sprale

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:18 AM

Nice one GD. I have a 2000 Infiniti i30t (Maxima sibling) and love it.

#43 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 903 posts
  • Paso Robles, California

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:13 PM

I am going to have to try this. I was going to do the GM alt swap but this seems to be a lot less fuss. Now I just need to find a Maxima to get one of these off of. Also will need to find a EA-82 alt so I can get the spacer too.
Richard

#44 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

I am going to have to try this. I was going to do the GM alt swap but this seems to be a lot less fuss. Now I just need to find a Maxima to get one of these off of. Also will need to find a EA-82 alt so I can get the spacer too.
Richard

If you can't find one, let me know. I'll have one for sale shortly. I have to make a spacer for the pulley but I have a nice maxima alt that I pulled about a week ago. Probably be about $125 ready to drop in.

GD

#45 xbeerd

xbeerd

dookin'

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  • Milwaukee, WI

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:40 AM

i didnt see it asked previously.. so, Will this Nissan Alternator fit with the a/c still installed? i noticed all the pics seemed to be lacking the a/c

#46 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,620 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:44 AM

I wish i had known about this 3 years ago when i did my XT6 alt upgrade. This would have saved me a lot of hassle.

#47 hardtail_pride

hardtail_pride

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Orem

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

Okay i just wanted to verify, this will also fit EA82 motors? Going to the JY tomorrow for a scavenger hunt. :banana:

#48 zukiru

zukiru

EJ22T

• Members
  • 1,229 posts
  • Oak Grove, AL

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

EA82t alt

http://contentinfo.a.../14743/image/8/

ea81t alt

http://contentinfo.a.../14585/image/8/

Maxima alt

http://contentinfo.a.../14661/image/8/

looks like a go to me!

and thanks for the heads up GD!

#49 hardtail_pride

hardtail_pride

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Orem

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:51 PM

Weird it shows the Ea82 motor with a serpentine belt pulley.

#50 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:41 PM

Weird it shows the Ea82 motor with a serpentine belt pulley.

Yeah - that's not the right picture. I'm not sure what that goes to but it's not an EA82T. Might be an XT6 alt but even at that it doesn't look right.

And just because it's got a multi-rib pulley does NOT mean it runs a serpentine belt. Multi-rib belts are generally *used* in serpentine applications but
there are many applications that don't as well - look at the EJ22's for example - multi-rib yes - serpentine no.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users