Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new brat problem discovered

ok guys i warned u i`d be back,got my engine in and running fairly good today,took it out for a run and it wouldnt shift into 3rd gear till about 55,now i took this tranny(and engine)out of a 80 gl stationwagon,and it ran fine in there,but i couldnt get it to shift into 3rd any sooner than 55,now i switched vac,lines and checked the linkage,but to no avail.it still does the same thing and 1st and 2nd shift fine and right on time. any ideas? thnx once again for any and all help,and dont worry if i get this fixed ill be back cause the next thing is rebuilding the old 1.8 or putting a bigger engine and different trans next :)

Since no mention of the type of transmission is mentioned, I will hazard a guess at a 3 speed automatic (i.e.3AT)

This problem is well known and documented in Brian's USRM (Ultimate Subaru Repair Manual). This can be found by clicking on USRM.net seen at the top left of the main page.

Here is a link to the repair of the offending part known as the shift "governor"

Hope this helps

http://www.usmb.net/repair/?CurrentDirectory=FOLDER_3f29b58f50d9b8.15492800/&FileType=Article&File=ARTICLE_3f57fdb83de231.34713659.art