Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another suby build

Mugs

Yah I know another suby build thread :horse: But this one is mine dang it, and it is the offroad forum. So here goes

What it is:

85 GL Wagon

5 Spd D/R

What has been done/is in the works:

6in monster lift (thanks monstaru & beastIdrive) :headbang:

EJ22 adapter plate (beastIdrive)

Tore out the toasted manual rack and replaced it with a power steering rack and lines

Took off all the rubber trim

custom built steerng linkage

Aquired a wrecked donor car for EJ22 and pulled it and now and starting to go through it.

What is still in the works:

Shift inkage and stabilizer

rear disc brake conversion

EJ22 conversion :burnout:

Plus a ton of other crap that goes through my head daily. But I want to get it running and driving first, before I tackle the other stuff

A special thanks and shout out to "monstaru" of rthe inspiration, motivation and help. A second shoutout to "beastIdrive" for the monster lift and plate. Man aint nothing going to break that stuff.

Now for some pics :popcorn:

P6190045.jpg

monstaru gettin' jiggy with the radius rod mounts

P6190028.jpg

I need some 31's

P6190050.jpg

P6210056.jpg

P6210054.jpg

P6210061.jpg

P6280005.jpg

P5220002.jpg

P5220015.jpg

holy crap numbchux where are you :confused:

P5220013.jpg

she need some resealing done, but it was a one owner car, with all maintainance receipts

P5170064.jpg

Thanks for watching

Cheers

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

an '85 with an auto-seatbelt track?

and why'd you rip out the dash?

the car with auto seatbelts and no dash is the legacy donor ;)

I hope that camber settles out :eek:

got the harness laid out in the living room....hopefully I'll have time to make some big progress on it this week.

the car with auto seatbelts and no dash is the legacy donor ;)

d'oh! I thought the door panel looked a little odd... hehe...

I hope that camber settles out :eek:

I saw that, but figured it's still just a work in progress... and didn't know if it'd been rolled since the pic...

and seeing that clean crossmember almost makes me want to fix my oil pan gasket and clean my member off...

The camber will be about stock when he gets the motor in it and rolls it out, my strut blocks are camber corrected ;)

-Bill

Also when the dinky 13 in tires and rims come off and the 15's with 235/75/15 goes in that will bring the fully extended struts back into where the should be.

What a reversed camberd front wheel drive vw "bug" isn't cool?

Nice lookin clean car...for now! :grin:

What kinda tires are you thinkin of?

Not sure yet, some all-terains of some sort. I haven't even crossed that bridge yet. I still need to get the EJ in and then I can worry about how to drive it out of my garage.

Edited by Mugs

good to see some pictures

are you gonna send pics of the gutted legacy to the PO? I'm sure she'd love to see what happened to it...:)

good luck

Yah I bet she would. I should send her pics of the empty engine bay as well. Maybe I will after I get some legal documents still owed to me on the car :lol:

Also when the dinky 13 in tires and rims come off and the 15's with 235/75/15 goes in that will bring the fully extended struts back into where the should be.

What a reversed camberd front wheel drive vw "bug" isn't cool?

larger tires won't compress the suspension. in fact, they'll make the camber look a ton worse than it does.

I realize the suspension is extended a lot since there's no engine in it, and it probably hasn't even been rolled since the lift was installed. but it still looks like a lot. it will change a lot once assembled and used.....

how big are the blocks at the crossmember?

True they don't compress the suspension, but they allow the car to "come up" enough for the weight of the engine and car to bring the hubs closeer to center instead of it acting like I have it on jack satnds. At least that is what I think I am trying to say. It makes sense to me any ways. :grin:

Beasty it is no worries man, I totally trust your lift and its geometry when it is done and they all take a look at it, they will feel grimmy :banana:

Everything I built for this lift is lifted the same amount, so its 6" on the struts, 6" on all the crossmembers, 6" at the diff, etc... It will settle, it just doesnt have any weight on it yet...

-Bill

Love the gas door!

Needs a biohazard sticker on it ;)

Yah, the original one did nothave the little springy thingy in it to open it when the lever was pulled so I got that one at the junk yard one day when I was out there, and put it on. Works great now. Plus I figured it is not going to matter because the paint scheme is changing any way.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been banging my head on the wall for a bit, trying to figure out the shifting. But I finally came up with a system that works. Thanks to some suggestions from Monstaru and Baccaruda. I have it jigged in and will get her welded up tommarrow. I went after the 4x4 selector a bit, but could not come up with anything viable yet. So I dedcided to take a break from it and clean up the engine a bit and get started on it.

She was caked in grease and needed a good cleaning before I even began on it. It was so oil and grease soaked that the timing coveres and rubber seals were all swollen to the point of rubbing into the crank pulley and a/c pulley. I have replacements for them so I was not too concerned with getting them perfect.

P7090009.jpg

P7090011.jpg

P7090013.jpg

P7090015.jpg

P7090019.jpg

P7090021.jpg

P7090024.jpg

P7090025.jpg

I will get her super, uber clean when I start tearing into her. Think I will even take off the intake just to be able to clean the block better. Maybe even rent a steam cleaner but will see what happens as I go along.

I will post some pics of the shifter mechanisms when I get it all welded up and in place.

Well, it has been a little hectic these past few days. My daughter is getting married this Sunday, so you can imagine the running around I have been doing doing last minute preperation things. But I did manage to get some work done on the suby.

I got the shifting and 4x4 linkage all figured out and the custom bracketry built. Now I need to take it all out and clean it and then paint it. Then I will post some pics of that porportion.

I took all the engine stuff to the shop and threw it in the parts washer for about an hour and man it came out sooo nice. :)

The one thing that came out real well was the valve covers. Plus I wire wheeled them on the bench grinder and they "polished" very nicely. So I figured I would do a little experimenting with paint. This is what I came up with.

P7150011.jpg

P7150015.jpg

P7150021.jpg

P7150022.jpg

Think I will do another set all black and then just do the "pin stripping" like thes ones and see how they look.

Tommarrow the rest of all my parts come for my engine, so I will have that done next week.

Plus today I scored some 15x6 - 6 lug Izuzu rims off a 1990 trooper that was next to the car I was yanking parts off of. I thought hey those would look good on the stomper. I quickly mearsered the offset and then popped two studs out of the front rotors and did some "tire clearing" with my hammer and they bolted right up....SCORE :banana: plus they had 30x9.5x15tires on them. Granite they are bald as crap but it gave an idea of whether or not they will fit. Well some more family just walked through the door so I will get some pics of the rims up later.

Cheers

Edited by Mugs