Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 Legacy Wgn Milage improvements???

Hi ALL!

I'm having problems parting with my 92 Loyale Wgn, it gets about 30 mpg (2 WD only) in the summer, IF I'm behaving my self with the throttle (rare!) I need a wagon to haul me and my tools around. It probaly won't past Mass. inspection next Nov.. The Impreza is just too small and usless to me. This means a Legacy wgn, probably a 2.2., late 90's, 5 speed is a must, a need a AWD.

Are their real things that can be done to improve fuel milage?? Easy, bolt-on, proven?????

ANY ideas would help!!

What do YOU get for real world milage in your Leagacy Wgn (2.2)5 spd??

Many thanks, Ted

My '95 Legacy Wagon 2.2 AWD 5MT with just under 100k miles now gets 20 city, 26 hwy, ave of 22 combined use.

That's on reg fuel. The mileage has been slipping over the last couple of years, don't know why. Compression is excellent, O2 sensor replaced, new plugs.

Possibly it's just the kids getting bigger and having to drive them around to more activites.

jim

1. regular oil maintenance-- some cars I've had see better mpg w/ synth oil. Our subaru saw ~1 mpg increase after synth in the engine, MT, rear end.

2. Keep tires inflated over the factory pressure-- I think I favored 32 psi.

3. don't mod the front bumper, air dam, etc. The factory design is been praised for exceptional aerodynamics in the 96-99(?) years.

4. Stick with ngk plugs, new wires after ~75,000.

5. our '97 2.2 MT AWD had adjustable valves. Keep 'em gapped right.

6. Avoid wider tires. They'll make a difference. I went from 185s to 205s and saw a bit of a drop. the oem 195/65 should be a good compromise.

7. Insulate all of the intake plumbing up to the throttle body with pipe wrap, silvery-plastic insulation, foam, whatever. Be creative. include the filter box.

That said, 32mpg was the best I saw. With spirited commuting, 26-28 was normal, 25-6 with A/C on full blast. As low as 24 strictly short in-town trips.

Nothing will fix a heavy foot...

Mike

147 000 miles, 29 on highway, 24 around town, but now the clutch is slipping, so I have to drive it different, not much throttle between 2200-3200 rpm, so higher revs and less throttle means I see mpg around 22 combined now...

and its for sale If you are looking