Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyway to remove the clutter on engine?

What is the deal with all the vacume lines on a Suby? Can I eliminate any of them, maybe change to a different carb. What other carbs fit the manifold that will reduce this clutter. Electronically what happens if I remove some stuff, will the car run?

The most common carb upgrade is a Weber 32/36 DGEV.

Can't pass emmisions with it if you have an under-hood inspection tho.

If you don't have to be inspected, then you can remove pretty much all of the vac stuff. You have to leave the disty vac advance, the brake booster, and anything relating to automatic trans, cruise control, etc.

Electronics depend on what carb your car has. Some had feedback, and others did not. Generally - if it has an O2 sensor in the exhaust, then it's got the feedback carb, and anything you do to the system will piss off the computer. Replacing the carb is still fine, you just have to remove the computer to get rid of the dash light.

GD

Guys thats what an engine should look like.

I noticed you both use webbers. Does any other carb fit the manifold. I saw where one guy used an old rochester 2bbl of an older Chev, must have worked?

What cars had a webber on them?

Last Do the still run well and get any kind of milage? I use this car as a work car and it's to cold for it to breakdown all the time.:D

As faras running good with the Weber, I'd have to say definetly yes. Some of us have had issues to overcome, most don't. But over-all, much better performance and gas milage. My last road trip, did 310 miles, took 10.5 gallons to refill tank. Not bad me thinks, 'specially since I was running 65-75 mph most of the time, with some stop and go town driving.

Originally posted by GeneralDisorder

Yes - it can pass just the emmissions test. The Webers are good at that. But if you have an under hood inspection, you will immediately fail regardless since the Weber is not street legal.

How strange. You would think that the authorities should welcome anything that improves mpg and passes emissions!

Is there a centralized webpage that lists inspection rules by the state?..

I just passed WA emmisions and hesitate to remove all the emmissions junk without learning more. Can you just rip it all out and still pass? I know as your car gets older they relax the emmissions requirements. Can you also remove the cat?

If you have an 02 sensor, etc, can you fool the computer into still running right? Or do you have to remove the computer? I want an uncluttered, simple engine, but also want to make sure that I'll pass the last two inspections before it is not required.

Also, this state exists to regulate and restrict anything that is fun. Two years ago they added a gas cap check to the emmissions test. I'm concerned that they will add an under-hood inspection before my car is exempt. I guess I'll have to just take that risk. If they add the under hood inspection, I can attach a stock air cleaner cover and zip-tie 200 feet of rubber hose to the carb. It will be so cluttered, they won't see the Weber and will assume its ok.

SubSandRail