Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Great site-used it a few times for info so i decided to join. Inheriteted my 97 outback from my old lady-she replaced it with a z-24 sad but true. sub's been a reliable ride since 97 absolutely no problems has 95,0000 on it.

got a few questions about coolant issues top rad hose is leaking,bottom rad hose is leaking,t-stat gasket is leaking.no bog deal i hope---any info or advice on repair methods appreciated!!! such as coolant filling method,type of clamps etc...... this problem just started weather is below 0 in da steel city!!!!!possibly a contributing factor????

thanks

madmike

Hmm. Were you planning on doing the work yourself? Upper and lower hoses aren't bad, I'd replace the t-stat (they're cheap enough). Have you considered maybe doing the timing belt and water pump while you're at it? If they're original, at 95k they're coming up for replacement soon.

Just a thought.

- Ed

Just a quick comment on the t-stat. Go with an OEM one. People have had trouble with aftermarket ones. And be sure it goes in properly. The unit is NOT symmetrical. The 'valve' is off center. There is a little notch that has to line up in the housing IIRC.

Unless outrageously expensive, I'd go with OEM hoses. You should get the best fit this way. Clamps should not be a big deal. Whatever you like. I like the worm gear style myself, but some of them will cut a bit into the hose surface.

Commuter

if they are the oem ones ,i had trouble with them before there god when they are new ,get the worm screw type ! Flush your system clean ( open the heater ) ( turn it on position ) do the timing belt at the same time ! I even added a extra earth lead to the car ,motor to body and use the oem coolant .

I never seen in my life 0 deg ,we see + 40 deg HOT on most days ! :D

After you complete your hose changes and refill the system, I always let the air bleed out of the cooling system by leaving the radiator filled an inch or so from the filler neck, and then idle the engine until it's completely warmed up (and the thermostat opens). You will likely see air bubbling up into the radiator, and it should be mostly bled out once the engine is fully warmed up. Then top off the radiator the rest of the way and put the cap back on.