Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch type lsd in newer gen subaru?s

oooo

I have a 97 impreza 3.9 manual that I am swapping to 4.11. I want to put a clutch type lsd rear diff in. From what I have read, I need to get a rear diff and axles from a 93-94 non lsd manual legacy that is 4.11 and has abs. If I use this diff I just need to swap in the clutch lsd part, correct, and to fit it I need to clearance something(don't know what needs to be clearanced though). I am hoping this is all that needs to be done. Because the other way I think is to take the whole clutch type lsd rear diff and swap ring and pinion from 3.7 to 4.11 and then swap in the legacy stub axles from the non 93-94 legacy rear diff. Then clearance that one too. I am hoping you can tell me if the first way will work since I wont have to do a pinion swap or swap axle stubs. Will Regular non lsd 90-94 axles and diff work or do I need 90-94 turbo axles and turbo diff with stubs or are they the same?

If I have missed any parts or steps feel free to add them. If I am way off please post up the correct way. Also could you tell me what needs to be clearanced to get the clutch part to fit in the non lsd diff housing. There used to be a good write up on here with pics that even had parts circled showing differences and what needed to be changed but I can't find it anywhere. I think it was lost when the forum switched.