Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

clutch type lsd in newer gen subaru?s

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oooo

oooo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • virginia

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:40 PM

I have a 97 impreza 3.9 manual that I am swapping to 4.11. I want to put a clutch type lsd rear diff in. From what I have read, I need to get a rear diff and axles from a 93-94 non lsd manual legacy that is 4.11 and has abs. If I use this diff I just need to swap in the clutch lsd part, correct, and to fit it I need to clearance something(don't know what needs to be clearanced though). I am hoping this is all that needs to be done. Because the other way I think is to take the whole clutch type lsd rear diff and swap ring and pinion from 3.7 to 4.11 and then swap in the legacy stub axles from the non 93-94 legacy rear diff. Then clearance that one too. I am hoping you can tell me if the first way will work since I wont have to do a pinion swap or swap axle stubs. Will Regular non lsd 90-94 axles and diff work or do I need 90-94 turbo axles and turbo diff with stubs or are they the same?

If I have missed any parts or steps feel free to add them. If I am way off please post up the correct way. Also could you tell me what needs to be clearanced to get the clutch part to fit in the non lsd diff housing. There used to be a good write up on here with pics that even had parts circled showing differences and what needed to be changed but I can't find it anywhere. I think it was lost when the forum switched.

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,634 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:56 PM

I am not sure if i am reading this correctly, but if your using a sooby LSD, it is not a clutch type, it is a viscous coupling.

nipper

#3 Greenley

Greenley

EA81 Nut

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • Gardnerville : Reno/Tahoe

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:29 PM

IIRC, baccaruda has made a 4.xx clutch pack LSD before

Hit 'em up :confused:

#4 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,423 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:03 AM

he and i have both done 4.11 lsd swaps.my own personal best was the 4.44lsd swap.there is a write up here......cheers, brian

Edited by monstaru, 10 July 2009 - 07:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users