Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone here have any horror stories about Sears automotive and oilchanges? They are having a special now...$21 and $5 mail in rebate...so like $16 for oil, filter, and change.

I'd do it myself...but I have an old Oldsmobile my grandparents gave me in the garage and its to cold and wet to do it in the driveway.Anyone here have any horror stories about Sears automotive and oil changes? They are having a special now...$21 and $5 mail in rebate...so like $16 for oil, filter, and change.

I'd do it myself...but I have an old Oldsmobile my grandparents gave me in the garage and it’s to cold and wet to do it in the driveway.

I know Wal*Mart is just awful with their automotive departments (A buddy of mine worked at one…heh)

So yeah…any info on Sears and if they are good or not is helpful.

I've only been there once for an alignment, they managed not to screw that up. A friend had his cv's done there, and his trans fluid leaked cause they messed up a seal, so he wasn't too impressed.

There of course is this:

http://www.carinfo.com/repair.html

I would think that as long as you double-check the oil level, and make sure oil isn't leaking around the filter before you leave, you'll be alright..

if youre getting an oil change JUST GET THE OIL CHANGE. they seem to really like "discovering" all sorts of things they feel they need to fix for you. I got some tires there on my old pickup and they told me my brakes were bad (just had them done 1 month previous) and that i needed a new idler arm. i got the tires on and never went back.

These places are usually fine. Sounds like a good deal; I love cheap oil changes :)

This selling you this and that while they give you the oil change is how they really make the money. Just say no, and check the things they pointed out yourself and if it really needs fixing then you can do it next time or do it yourself.

The local mechanics were SO bad, and would never make mistakes right. "Yah shuah effing haole, geddouda heah, brah 'for I broke yo' face!"

One thing about Sears is that they will always honor their warranty. Just make sure that you can absolutely document condition when you take the car in. If you can prove they screwed something up they WILL fix it.

Many (TOO many) years ago I got a new set of Goodyear tires on sale in LA. Since we lived in the country I got my front end aligned at Sears (so I could get warranty response). THey didn't tighten one of the links and by the time I got up to the Gold Rush country mountains where I lived the front tires were already ruined. Sears not only replaced the front tires, but because the local dealer didn't have the same tires, they replaced ALL FOUR with better quality as well as redoing the front end.

In Hawaii I had my '84 Mustang HB front-end aligned and bought the 'lifetime' warranty. Poor Sears, because the roads on the Big Isand are SO bad, I had the car realigned at least twice a year ... and I kept that little car 12 years!

Only concern I'd have is that they drain the right fluid. I don't know how many stories I've heard where these chain places not understanding boxers pull the dif bolt, drain the front dif fluid then add oil to the engine creating 2 issues. Of course the issues tend to take a day or so to develop. Just make sure you check your fluid levels before leaving.

Originally posted by Tiny Clark

If I took mine to a place to have the oil changed, I would get one of those yellow permanent markers that the junkyards use to mark parts, and write "OIL" right next to the oil drain plug, and "A/T" next to the transmission plug.

Thats a good idea. I would really do this, if i dident change my own oil.