Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leaking Valve Covers

Guest Chip Hedrick

I have a '98 Outback Wagon w/approx. 93,000 mi. The lower rear area of the passenger side valve cover gasket has been leaking oil for about a year. This is a very slow leak and little or no oil ends up on the ground and the car uses very little oil. Recently, I have noticed that the lower rear of the driver's side valve cover gasket has started to leak oil. Again, the leakage is very minimal. Basically, it just makes a small mess in the engine bay.

Should I go ahead and replace the valve cover gaskets or should I wait until the car hits 105,000 mi and have them done at the same time as the timing belt? If I should replace them now are there any tricks I should know about or is there anything I should watch out for? I have the Haynes repair manual and the procedure looks straightforward. Is there anything that I should coat the new gaskets with? The Haynes manual doesn't say anything about that. Also, does anyone know of a good source from which to order the gaskets?

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

I'd do them both at the same time but then that's me!

I figure it this way, if you can live with leaks wait, if you can't - do the belt early. Its - like - what? - less than 10% early.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest subyluvr2212

That is the EJ25 with the spark plugs going through the valve covers rather than above them like the EJ22. So along with the outer gasket and the grommets, do the small gaskets for the spark plug holes as well...

Tricks? I recommend for the passenger side, taking the intake hose off, and for the driver's, taking the battery and windshield washer reservior off too. This will free up plenty of space for you to work in...

Guest Chip Hedrick

Thanks for the replies. I suspected the Haynes Manual might leave something out. It does not mention anything about bolt grommets or spark plug hole gaskets, but if you look closely, they are shown on one of the illustrations.

Does anyone know of a good source on the net for ordering obscure parts such as those bolt grommets and spark plug hole gaskets?

Guest tcspeer

Lithia Subaru is a great place to get part's they are in Oregon Toll free number is 1 866-717-2512 they will ship your part's priority, and you will get them in two to three day's. If you want to pay for express you can get them in one day. They advertise in our national rural carrier magazine for subaru postal car's and they are the best place I have ever found to get part's try them and see what you think.

Guest JaapH

Have you checked that.

I noticed a small leakage and cleaned the PCV valve and all the hoses that are used for venting the valve covers.

They were pretty dirty. It stopt the leaks.

I did this because I thought the overpressure und the valvecovers was blowing out the oil (pistonrings allways leak a bit).

Migth be an idea?