Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

dying in hard turns

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rebuiltwrx

rebuiltwrx

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Kentucky

Posted 25 January 2004 - 07:08 PM

I have a 2002 WRX Sedan 5-spd with 19k miles. In the last month, it started dying in hard right turns. All electrical systems still worked (lights, tach, stereo, etc.), but the engine wouldn't hold RPM with clutch engaged and quit with clutch disengaged. It usually cut off at about 5000 RPM in first gear and wouldn't run again until it had slowed to about 2000 RPM or stopped (usually 10-15 seconds).

Even more recently, the engine started cutting out a little in left turns as well as hard WOT acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear. In higher gears (and less g-load) the car runs great all the way up to 7000 RPM. The problem first occured with less than a half tank of gas, but now happens even on a full tank. No CEL ever appears.

Any advice or ideas?

#2 Lesbaru

Lesbaru

Gir is my copilot

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 25 January 2004 - 07:19 PM

water in the tank? This is funny, cuz I just heard about a guy who had an Impreza that was dying on turns. Turns out there was a bunch of water in the tank that got swished over when he turned corners.

#3 rebuiltwrx

rebuiltwrx

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Kentucky

Posted 26 January 2004 - 06:26 PM

I've heard of water in tank, too. Thanks for the advice.

I'm afraid it might be the fuel pump, though. In just one day of driving, the problem has gotten so much worse that now under WOT in every gear the car sputters and cuts out. In second gear it was so bad that it would barely rev to 6000 RPM. Even on half throttle the problem is still there to a lesser degree.

#4 ccrinc

ccrinc

The Subaru Whisperer

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • Denver, CO

Posted 26 January 2004 - 08:43 PM

Check your engine oil level? Seems to me there is a fuel pump safety cutoff when engine oil is detected below a certain level.

Emily
http://www.ccrengines.com

#5 wrxsubaru

wrxsubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Seattle Washington US

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:54 PM

If its not your oil I would just take it to the dealer if its under warrenty. Let them fix it :D.

#6 jamal

jamal

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 January 2004 - 06:51 AM

Originally posted by wrxsubaru
If its not your oil I would just take it to the dealer if its under warrenty. Let them fix it :D.

yes.

#7 rebuiltwrx

rebuiltwrx

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Kentucky

Posted 05 February 2004 - 11:50 AM

I found the problem. Looking into to fuel tank after removing the pump, I saw a bunch of white globs of crap in there. The pick up sock was totally clogged with it. Also, when I removed the fuel filter, what came out of it looked like milk. My only guess is that I got a load of bad gas at the gas station and it took a while to totally clog the fuel system.

After cleaning everything out and filling the car back up (at a different station), it runs great again with no problems at all.

#8 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 05 February 2004 - 05:09 PM

I wonder what sugar looks like when it is added to gasoline. I have never seen the results myself. It does sound like some foreign substance was added.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users