Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2002 WRX Sedan 5-spd with 19k miles. In the last month, it started dying in hard right turns. All electrical systems still worked (lights, tach, stereo, etc.), but the engine wouldn't hold RPM with clutch engaged and quit with clutch disengaged. It usually cut off at about 5000 RPM in first gear and wouldn't run again until it had slowed to about 2000 RPM or stopped (usually 10-15 seconds).

Even more recently, the engine started cutting out a little in left turns as well as hard WOT acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear. In higher gears (and less g-load) the car runs great all the way up to 7000 RPM. The problem first occured with less than a half tank of gas, but now happens even on a full tank. No CEL ever appears.

Any advice or ideas?

I've heard of water in tank, too. Thanks for the advice.

I'm afraid it might be the fuel pump, though. In just one day of driving, the problem has gotten so much worse that now under WOT in every gear the car sputters and cuts out. In second gear it was so bad that it would barely rev to 6000 RPM. Even on half throttle the problem is still there to a lesser degree.

• 2 weeks later...

I found the problem. Looking into to fuel tank after removing the pump, I saw a bunch of white globs of crap in there. The pick up sock was totally clogged with it. Also, when I removed the fuel filter, what came out of it looked like milk. My only guess is that I got a load of bad gas at the gas station and it took a while to totally clog the fuel system.

After cleaning everything out and filling the car back up (at a different station), it runs great again with no problems at all.