Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT width question

I thing the previous answer is wheelbase "Length" if I read it correctly NOT, wheel base "Width"

.....using the FSM for a 1988 XT in the Book for sections 4 & 5

section 5-1 BOdy Datum points page 11 top

the strut tower has three holes for the strut retaining studs to fit thru.

the front most of the three holes are:

total distance apart from one another 40.47 inches

OR from the Center Line 20.235 inches of C.L.

the Body width in the engine bay is on page 13

From point HR (hood right) pass. to HL (hood left) drivers

53.70 inches

26.85 inches off the C.L.

that is the rear most bolt holding the fender on (using the center of the hole/bolt)

that's as closs as I can find at the moment there is another area but not sure yet.....

Now I have a bit of rastling to get the chasis re-oriented in my garage, so that I can put engine and tranny in place.

That has nothing to do with my question, but it does, sort of. I needed to confirm the width dimention before I did the final install of the engine and tranny.

I should be building the double A-arm suspension bits this week, and putting them together this weekend.

One sadish bit of data. The wheelbase will be about 2 inches longer than the stock Justy's,no big deal, but the nose is going to be almost a half a foot longer than the stock justy's because of the engine orientation. I am keeping the drive shafts perpendicular to the tranny as a way to reduce shock damage to the tranny, and widen the inside tie points for the A-arms. This forces the engine out further in front of the front tires. A small price to pay for durability.

Weight-wise it isn't a big deal because the radiator, battery and the fuel cell are in back over the rear diff. I am pushing the driver and co-driver seats back just past the B pillars for comfort and lowest installation.

Cosmetically however the over hang is gonna look a bit strange I think. Haven't figured out how to post my CAD work yet to get your opinions. So I'll take pictures of some mock-ups after I get the engine in.

In the end the car is going to be wierd looking, regardless. So maybe my moto should simply be "looks be damned, full speed ahead" or something like that.

Troy

you have an album already right? thought so...

just upload them as images be it gif jpeg pin or dare i say it...bmp's :rolleyes:

if the Cad files are special visual view only then you could resort to a "save as html viewable? Or am I just assuming grandly here?

then upload the "html" page in an album??????