Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Backspacing on factory 13", 4x140 wheels, 78 Brat

soobs have ones of the highest positive offsets, so pretty much anything non-soob you fit on, will have less of an offset....

but the Gen1's do have more limitations because of the trailing arm and rear torsion bar set-up.... especially if going with the later years soob 4x140 wheels...

this page has some backspacing measurements....

http://www.indysworld.com/80s/general/wheels/wheels.html

are you lifting, or just looking for better wheel sizes for street tires?

Actually, I'm going to go lower with it... not significantly, but just enough to set the fenders down lower on the tires. I'm going with the gloss black steelie nascar-style wheels..... just need to find the right size and backspacing.

I'm also going to do the 6x5.5 lug conversion for more available wheels.

Looking at going with a 15 or 16 x 8.... maybe x7... not 100% sure.

The "theme" I'm going with for the car is low... flat black paint, and gloss black trim (wheels, grill, etc)

Don't mind if they stick out a bit.... that's the look I'm going for.... but I don't want to run into clearance problems on the inside of the wheel. I don't mind rolling the fenders, or even trimming them... but I certainly don't want to have to relocate suspension or build wheel tubs, you know?

With that, that site didn't have the backspacing measurements that would be acceptable.... any ideas?

Actually, I'm going to go lower with it... not significantly, but just enough to set the fenders down lower on the tires. I'm going with the gloss black steelie nascar-style wheels..... just need to find the right size and backspacing.

I'm also going to do the 6x5.5 lug conversion for more available wheels.

Looking at going with a 15 or 16 x 8.... maybe x7... not 100% sure.

The "theme" I'm going with for the car is low... flat black paint, and gloss black trim (wheels, grill, etc)

Don't mind if they stick out a bit.... that's the look I'm going for.... but I don't want to run into clearance problems on the inside of the wheel. I don't mind rolling the fenders, or even trimming them... but I certainly don't want to have to relocate suspension or build wheel tubs, you know?

With that, that site didn't have the backspacing measurements that would be acceptable.... any ideas?

well, the ea82 rims (5.25" bs) will not work on a gen1 brat, but the gen2 wagon wheels will work (4.75" bs) , so you need to stick with 5" or less backspacing..... which should be no problem going to the wheels you are thinking....

yes, anything with a 4 or 4.25" backspacing would work. on an 15x8" rim you'd want 0 offset up to +25mm offset.

but they are gonna stick out a ways...

I had 15x7 on, with 3.75" backspacing, and they stuck out about 2" past the fender.... that was on a gen2 brat..... I would think something like a 15x6 would be better with +25 offset (4" backspacing).

would be good for tires up to 225 width... might search around for folks running pug 15's on a gen1....

^^^^ Thank you..... that's exactly what I was looking for.

I like the "sticking out" look... that's kinda what I'm going for.

I've noticed a lack of available low-profile tires for 15' whells, so I think I'm going to go with a 16x8, with a 4.25 offset..... and a 235/40 tire.

You think there will be any problems with the tire hitting the front corner of the fenders during turns?... If so, might need to go with a 16x7 with a 215 tire.

Thoughts?