Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 impreza 4EAT into 95 Legacy?

greg donovan

might buy a old 93 impreza wagon for a daily driver with a 4EAT in it that is pretty good.

i am wondering if later on down the road when i do a swap to 5MT in the impreza will the 4EAT from the impreza work in my 95 legacy wagon?

i would assume that the best way to ensure everythign works would be to take the whoe driveline from the diff the torque converter and use the impreza TCM.

one question i have is will the impreza TCM and my legacy ECU communicate with each other?

thanks.

They are both the same trans, just bolt it down and plug it in. The trans didnt change till about 99 I believe. The only differences are internal, the one used on the 1.8 has fewer clutches, due to having 20hp less. Unless your foot is always on the floor shouldnt make much difference.

the tcm has a differnt part number than others out there. i think it is because the 93 has the display on the dash for what gear you are in soit may have a different wiring harness. but i am sure that can be worked around.

the plan is to possibly put my ej22t and 5mt out of my 94 legacy SS into the 93 impreza wagon.

When you're asking about interchangeability, Subaru part numbers don't mean anything. They change part numbers all the time for very minor differences, when in reality tons of stuff is interchangeable. If part numbers alone meant something wouldn't work then I bet %75 of the frequent members here wouldn't have running cars!

People swap engines and trans all the time with no problem. I've done it with 4EAT's and never had a problem. I've even dropped FWD into AWD vehicles without swapping the TCU, no problem.

• 3 weeks later...
When you're asking about interchangeability, Subaru part numbers don't mean anything. They change part numbers all the time for very minor differences, when in reality tons of stuff is interchangeable. If part numbers alone meant something wouldn't work then I bet %75 of the frequent members here wouldn't have running cars!

People swap engines and trans all the time with no problem. I've done it with 4EAT's and never had a problem. I've even dropped FWD into AWD vehicles without swapping the TCU, no problem.

how about a 4EAT from a 95 impreza?

i'm not sure what you're asking. yes 95 imp and 95 leg should interchange. ratios are likely to be different so you'll have to make that work.

i have a line on a 4EAT from a 95 impreza locally that i want to put in my 95 legacy wagon. figured i would ask in this thread again rather than start a new one for every trans i find. i decided that the trans out of the 93 might me more trouble than it is worth. what with the "manual" button and the "power" mode wiring and all.

if the impreza and the legacy rear ends are both 4.11:1 it should be a direct swap otherwise i need to source a 95 impreza rear end. or am i way off base?

i decided that the trans out of the 93 might me more trouble than it is worth. what with the "manual" button and the "power" mode wiring and all.

That wiring is all part of the Body of the Car and the TCU.

Wether the dash has a display for the gear selector or not, there still is the switch unit on the trans to send out signal to the ECU for what gear you're to the TCU.

So, what I am saying, is that the Transmissions are the same, adn plug in the same, and any 90-98 EJ TCU will control any other 90-98 EJ trans with no problems, no wiring to mess with or convert.

THE ONLY THING TO CHECK is gear ratios. Get a trans with the same ratio and you are good to go. Swap them all day with no wiring.

That wiring is all part of the Body of the Car and the TCU.

Wether the dash has a display for the gear selector or not, there still is the switch unit on the trans to send out signal to the ECU for what gear you're to the TCU.

So, what I am saying, is that the Transmissions are the same, adn plug in the same, and any 90-98 EJ TCU will control any other 90-98 EJ trans with no problems, no wiring to mess with or convert.

THE ONLY THING TO CHECK is gear ratios. Get a trans with the same ratio and you are good to go. Swap them all day with no wiring.

do i need to make sure each gear ratio is the same or just the final?

put it in FWD mode. you're doing damage to your axles and bushings driving it like that.

isnt that bad to do long term? like more than a drive to the mechanic to get it fixed? this thing has 280,000 miles on it so i am not too worried. if i am going to replace the trans i guess i shouldnt be too worried about damaging it.

Edited by greg donovan

well yes, you shouldn't worry about the trans that you are trashing verses all the parts you're keeping that you're currently stressing - bushings, axles, etc.

that being said, you can run in FWD all day long, that's an armchair mechanic philosophy. i've done it tons of times and know others that have as well. you can either choose real world experience and knowledge or folks that have no experience with it that like to regurgitate info.

• 4 weeks later...

think i found a good transmission, it is from a 95 impreza sedan. according to the VIN from my legacy and this impreza both have a 4.11 final drive ratio.

however, the trans # and the part number for each are different. what is different between them?

here is the part # for the impreza 4eat:

31000AC770

here is the trans # for the impreza 4eat

TZ102ZA313A

P#for legacy trans:

31000AC580

Trans#for legacy trans:

TZ102ZAAAA

my mechaninc and i think it should work and from what you all are saying here it should work, but i want to get some more info before i pull the trigger and buy the thing.

thanks!