Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More 5 Lug problems

Steve W.

Hey guys, still haven't found half shafts for my GL-XT conv. It appears the 93 Imp. shafts would work if I was runnin' a Turbo tranny with 25 spline. But my early Dual range has 23s, Is there a large cup cvj with 23 splines? And, to add to my frustration, with the car down on the shop floor it has has huge pos. camber in front. Still plugin', open to all suggestions. Thanks S.

Hi,

I cant help on the axle but if you just let the car down and it has not moved then the camber will look way off, you'll need to roll it back a couple of feet and then back to let the tires move to the outside and then look at the camber, if it is still way off then , i don't know.

just an idea from looking at mine after a wheel change or any time i jacked it up, the camber always looks way off till rolled some.

Good luck on the axles.

Hey guys, still haven't found half shafts for my GL-XT conv. It appears the 93 Imp. shafts would work if I was runnin' a Turbo tranny with 25 spline. But my early Dual range has 23s, Is there a large cup cvj with 23 splines? And, to add to my frustration, with the car down on the shop floor it has has huge pos. camber in front. Still plugin', open to all suggestions. Thanks S.

+1 on the imp FWD axles being 23 spline.

regarding positive camber. I had the same problem w/my BRAT. The Imprezas are wider than the EA series cars so the axles are going to be too long and cause your positive camber. I solved the problem by extending the front control arms by an inch.

yep, only '93-'94 FWD 5MT 1.8l imprezas got the magic 23-spline axles.

the axles are longer, but they won't push the hub out and "cause" camber. my loyale has XT6 control arms, and '92 legacy knuckles, struts and axles. no positive camber. although, it's also lowered a bunch, so the control arms are almost level, which really helps push the bottom of the knuckle out.

I dont know, let me go ask my dad. The boys at Santa Fe CarQuest let me go thru the boxes of reman shafts, they had two for the 93-4 1.8 fwd Imps, & they both had 25 splines. Maybe the 2wd, I didn't look at that one. I did roll out the susp. in the shop to be sure it wasn't loaded up, but still way to much pos. camber. Gonna take some mods. I'm afraid. Thanks for the imput. S.

93 Impreza Axles FOR 2WD MANUAL TRANS should be 23 spline.

wait.. so that means i could grab 5 lug hubs from a fwd 5 speed impreza with the 23 spline and just stick them on my GL? and if so.. could i stick them on the back too and have a 4 wheel disk brake conversion? or are the rear axles differant size?

wait.. so that means i could grab 5 lug hubs from a fwd 5 speed impreza with the 23 spline and just stick them on my GL? and if so.. could i stick them on the back too and have a 4 wheel disk brake conversion? or are the rear axles differant size?

No. This thread is only addressing the Axle spline count problem at the transmission.

The rest of the details of the five lug conversion ,which requires basically an rear set of XT6 Hubs and axles, and best to get the whole front set up too although Leg/Imp stuff can be made to work up front.

You can easily get disc brakes on you're GL using backing plates/ calipers and rotors from the rear of a 4cyl XT or a GL/RX Turbo.